Author Topic: Can't change gear  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Can't change gear
« on: March 08, 2009, 07:01:37 pm »
My car's broken again. Hurrah. ::)

To be fair it's not like I haven't had any warning, it's taken a year to finally give up the ghost, but I think my clutch is now completely shagged.

Quick background to this - I had my G40 gearbox removed last year due to worn diff bearings. The swap disturbed the clutch, which had a rattly thrust bearing for a few weeks afterwards. This stopped, was fine for the Ring trip but there was some squeaking on the way back. Since then I've heard it make the squeaking noise once, and got away with ignoring what I knew was an unhealthy clutch.

Well today I took the car to Ultimate Dubs in Telford. The drive up was awesome, felt really strong, but we arrived at the Telford International Centre to find a mile long queue of Volkswagens waiting to find a parking space. It took an hour to get to the car park, by which point the clutch pedal had gone really soft and the familiar squeaking noise was back.

Left it for the time I was at the show, and had a nearly fault free drive back until I got within 20 miles of Peterborough. Driving up the A605 I had to double declutch at every roundabout to get it into gear, and as I pulled off to get to my estate it wouldn't go into any of them. I started it in first gear (clutch pedal down, but it was moving forwards while I was starting the car!) and drove the last mile without shifting at all.

What I don't get though is the clutch wasn't slipping at all on the way back, it felt fine. It just wasn't changing gear very well. Parked up with the engine off I can change gear fine with the clutch down, but I can't do anything once it's started.

At the moment it's undriveable, unless it's possible for me to adjust the clutch cable as a temporary measure? Anyone?

Offline Dan

• Members
Re: Can't change gear
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 08:45:59 pm »
Do you have the original self-adjusting clutch cable or a manual. From what I have read the clutch release bearing may have collapsed (I've had a couple do this) how old is it ?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 09:54:06 pm »
It's a little under four years old, but was disturbed when the box was swapped over. It's almost definitely that which has gone, a proper pain in the ass. :(

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:01:45 pm »
Mine went on me on the way to London. By the time i got there, i couldnt get any gear!!!!
having the clutch and cable changed so hopefully it'll all be cricket.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:47:49 pm »
yup defo sounds like the clutch release bearing

did ti just squeal when you pressed the pedal?

its not a major bummer to fix, but whenever there is a car show, there is always a g40 on the hard shoulder lol

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 12:03:55 am »
I was lucky, I made it home, but only just! The last 20 miles were well stressful, double declutching and having to use more and more effort to change gear. Not helped by some OAP in a 5-Series Touring slowing down too much for roundabouts.

Saw loads of broken down VWs on the way out of the show though, I guess it finished a few others off as well!

Quaife will be getting my G40 box through the post next week if all goes to plan. Just trying to sort an uprated clutch now. No point taking it all apart only to put it back together with the 8P and an open diff.  ;D

Then I can get back onto the companies who are holding onto parts for me, stuff which was due to be fitted next week. :(