Author Topic: Fuel Pump Connection  (Read 5213 times)

Offline dannyb.G40

• Members
Fuel Pump Connection
« on: February 15, 2009, 08:10:51 pm »
My fuel pumps on its way out, so I got a new one from Bosch and attempted to fit it on saturday but it turns out the connection is different!

What can i do to fit the new one? i don't really want to butcher the loom or mess with the new pump because it it doesn't work i will be 130 quid out of pocket and have a useless pump.

Should i return it? the Bosch unit was the only one i could find having rang round all the usual places. Or is there some sort of adapter available or something?

Cheers, Danny

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Fuel Pump Connection
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 01:43:08 pm »
hi mate, the different connector is for different pumps, i forget which is which, but if the pump you have ordered is defo a G40 specific one, then the loom side is not correct, or vice versa, is it a real g40?

Offline dannyb.G40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 03:14:41 pm »
yeh its a real G not a conversion, the old pump connection has two slots on the top in the middle

while the new pump has two on top far apart and one on the bottom. Ill try returning it then, the only reason i ask is cos someone on club polo mentioned they may be different!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 03:28:50 pm »
my late spec g, looks to have a differnt connection!

Offline dannyb.G40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 03:44:39 pm »
lol mines a '93 (is that late spec?). I've just rang the shop it is the correct pump, the only one listed and fits NZ and GT engines as well.

This is a pain to say the least! I tried cruisin' maplins website to see if there is some kind of electrical connector or something but had no joy, but then again i don't really know what they would be called and there is a lot of types of electrical connector!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 10:02:26 am »
Late spec cars were different - Henry had the same problem on his L-reg G40.

The connectors are Junior Power Timer ones if memory serves, perhaps RS/Rapid/Farnell/Maplin/Vehicle Wiring Products would be able to help? VWP deffo sell some of the JPT connector range.

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 06:47:45 pm »
Possibly look on ETKA and see if they list normal / late spec.

Offline dannyb.G40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 01:10:27 pm »
sorry i thought i'd just update this thread (for future reference), in the end i used spade connections. The nice parts lady at VW spent an hour with me trawling through the ETKA drawings and ringing other garages trying to find the block connector and in the end gave me the spades for free, don't often see customer service like that any more!

Anyway Andy you are correct the junior power timer ones look like they would work, but i am going to stick with the spades for the time being, and the whine isn't even fixed. Next thing is have a look at the in-tank pump