Author Topic: Golf mk4 rear brakes setup  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Golf mk4 rear brakes setup
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:17:57 pm »
I've read in some topics in club Polo about doing an more efficient setup in our polo's mixing parts from Golf mk2 and mk4...

Parts from Mk2:
-bearings
-caliper carrier
-stub axle
-brake pads
-discs

Parts from Mk4:
-calipers

Custom parts:
-brake lines (cause mk4 calipers has banjo bolts)
-handbrake cables

If i have something wrong please correct me...

-Does mk4 callipers fit straight to mk2 carriers?
-Is it really more efficient?
-Is there any bigger master cylinder required?

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Golf mk4 rear brakes setup
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 11:35:38 pm »
Any ideas?

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 12:57:00 am »
I'm not sure on the caliper/carrier combination, and IIRC the alloy mk4 calipers might not fit inside all 14" wheels? Would need confirming.
Personally, I don't think a car as light as the G40 really needs better rear brakes - front's yes.
The biggest problem with the standard drums is keeping them properly and optimumly (does that word even exist? :-\) adjusted. I have found that even after fucking about manually adjusting them up, that within a few hundred miles the brake pedal has gone "long" again. I'm convinced this is why 99% of people complain of shit brakes on the mk3 Polo's. The actual physical size of the mechanical parts/swept area is more than enough for such a light car, it's the back brakes inability to keep fully adjusted that let the system down in terms of pedal feel and travel.
Fitting rear discs will give you more "efficient" brakes and apparently the handbrake is far better too. However, you won't reduce your stopping distances because they would just lock the rear wheels if they worked any harder than the standard drums.
To get the very best out of them though you need to get rid of the O.E. master cylinder/servo setup and the rear load bias adjuster shite. Then you can fit an adjustable bias pedal box with individual correctly sized master cylinders, and suitably upgraded front brakes too ie; Willwood 4 pots/260mm dia. discs. Very expensive and lots of work, but the proper way of fitting rear discs IMO.
However, you can use a bigger Passat 22.2mm master cylinder if you're a cheapskate!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 10:46:39 am »
a cheaper way is to ditch the standard rear bias auto-adjuster from under the car and have a manual bias lever inside the car and still use the larger rear cylinders (i.e. keep the normal gt/g40 ones).  This is what I've got on mine at the moment but along with bigger passat drums (which may not really be required but the new parts were basically the same price I'd have spent on new normal polo ones anyway). 

I do have a nice Tilton twin master cylinder pedal sat on a shelf at home which I'll put on one rainy weekend but not right now. 

The key thing is to not expect 15+ year old drums and mechanisms to be up to much at all, they need replacing with new parts.