Author Topic: Hayesey's red G40 restoration - J142WLS  (Read 3538 times)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Hayesey's red G40 restoration - J142WLS
« on: April 04, 2023, 05:35:04 pm »
Back in 2020, I bought another G40. I got it from Nealpeal (a member on this forum) as it had been sat on his driveway for some time and he came to the conclusion that he wasn't going to use it, so wanted to sell it to someone who wouldn't just break it.

I already knew the car as once being owned by Mark Hunter in the early-to-mid 2000s, he's a long-time member of this group.

When I first bought it, I spent a fair bit of time re-commissioning it, getting it back on the road and MOTd. Things like replacing belts, ignition parts, filters, charger service etc... After that I used the car for a couple of years, taking it to shows in the summer, SORNing in winter, the occasional run out on a Sunday. But it has always been my intention to get it properly restored.

It's had various owners over the years, it's had modifications done to it in the past including some strange paintwork (someone painted the roof, boot, bonnet and c-pillars black) and some DIY paintwork back to red. So it really needs properly stripping down and sorting out.

Last year I got talking to another member on here, Steve (sleag40), on our ClubG40 stand at tatton park, he said that he could take this work on. He later showed me the astounding level of restoration work he'd done to a mk2 Cavalier and he knows G40s too owning a very nice L-reg one himself. It seemed perfect.

So a few weeks ago I agreed a plan with him and the work has begun. I want to document progress in this thread.

My goal isn't going to be a full-on concourse level car at the end but a very nicely sorted, standard spec, G40 which will last another 30 years hopefully!

Firstly, some old pictures of it.

This is a photo I took at (if I remember correctly) VW Action 2004. Mark Hunter owned it at the time. The red 6n parked next to it was my car at the time!

This is it again some time after Mark sold it, the less said the better........

Then when I first got it home in 2020, I had to trailer it as it hadn't been on the road for quite a few years at that point,

Next, some repair work don't by myself which were necessary to get it back on the road but I always saw as being temporary:

Charger went off to PeteG40 for servicing, amazingly it had never been touched, no porting or anything which is good for me as it's keeps it original spec! The charger wouldn't be the same as the car had originally as Nealpeal put his engine into this shell when he had the car.

It had it's first MOT in about ten years:

At this point, I just used it. Went to some shows etc...

Pretty much the first meetup to happen after lockdown, cars&coffee manchester (which was ridiculously busy and we had to get there very early to get it):

And then Tatton Park VW Show 2022:

Which brings us to a couple of weeks ago when I booked two days off work to get it ready to take to Steve for the part of the restoration he will be handling since bodywork and paint aren't my forte:

Not bad for two day's work I don't think!

Then, Sunday just gone, I got it back on the trailer and took it to Steve's unit where we got it up on his spit:

So the first job Steve will do is getting all the underseal off down to the e coat. Then he'll do any welding that's needed and reseal it all, then it'll be off for paint. But this will all take a few months.

I got my first update photo last night from Steve:

Yes there is a hole cut in the inner wing, that's from it having a wing vent fitted I suspect, in it's euro-look-gone-wrong days. It'll be getting welded up.

Meanwhile I will be rebuilding/refreshing the engine (there's nothing wrong with it just needs making look nice and will be doing all seals etc.. while it's on a stand) and getting all the other parts made to look like new or replaced. New nuts and bolts all round too. I wont be putting any manky bits back on to this once I get the shell back.

Offline Max

• Members
Re: Hayesey's red G40 restoration - J142WLS
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 09:19:01 pm »
Great to see a build thread again, making me want to do one too!

Look forward to seeing some more updates.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 12:47:51 pm »
Had a few photos from Steve as he's been removing the underseal so we can see the full extent of rust needing attention.

Hole in inner wing now gone! :

Most of the underseal is now off.

Steve says it's not the worst he's been by a long stretch, not the best either but certainly nothing he can't deal with.

He did find a new hole that needs fixing though. You couldn't see anything of this hole with the underseal on it was totally covered up, well worth getting the underseal off to find things like this!:

Meanwhile I've made a start on stripping down axle, suspension etc... for power coating.

Have also been buying some things needed, Steve wants to replace the front and rear edges of the sills, not the whole sills but it's best to just buy the whole sill panels and cut off the bits he wants so I got some new sills. Got some rear arches cut off another polo from another Steve (Morris). Will soon have a replacement jacking point panel too. At the moment, any other repairs will just be done with sheet steel.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 12:49:42 pm by hayesey »

Offline confusionhunter

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 01:06:47 pm »
Long live the build threads! Good work!
I don't think the charger was original when you got it then. When it left my care it had a toothed belt pulley set and a PSD full blend charger!
Totally mad to think there was that hole under neath the body seal!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 04:51:15 pm »
Mark, no it's not the original engine the car had when you had it. Nealpeal bought the car as an empty shell and put his engine & charger from his car that he crashed (or got crashed into), really it was lucky to not get scrapped at that point, it'd have been about 10 years ago I think and empty g40 shells not being worth a lot then.

I've heard that Fred who lives near Nelson has the original engine but I think it's either been re-bored for 1341 already or had a melted piston and needs a re-bore.

So I think even though it's not the original engine, the engine I have is best as it's very original condition and from what I can see has never been modified in any way. I've got the code so will get the v5c updated to match.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 09:38:37 am »
I have absolutely loads of photos from Steve as the restoration is progressing. Work is happening quickly.

He's done a fair bit of work but there wont be a spec of crust on this shell once this is done.

He decided to replace the whole sills in the end, original plan was to just replace the front and rear edges as only those parts were crusty but someone had badly drilled holes in the tops of the sills to remount the sill trims for some reason. So it was just easier to replace the whole sills than try to make the existing ones good.

A couple of floorpan repairs:

Then the driver's side jacking point properly sorted out. When I got the car this was rusty and I did an "MOT spec" repair on it myself. So that's now cut off and properly sorted.

floorpans all sealed and coated in mastic. All the original sound deadening and sealant was removed to make sure everything was solid underneath. I'll be putting down new sound deadening and carpet underlay stuff before the carpets go back in.

The first of the rear arches is repaired, these weren't rusty but someone had chopped them about to make them wider and made a right mess of it. So replacement arches being fitted cut from another car.

Not all that much left to do repair wise now and it'll be ready for paint.

Meanwhile, I've had loads of things powder coated ready for the rebuild.

I've got a nice pile of new parts to go on it too. Need to get the rear axle and front suspension built up to get it rolling again in the not too distant future.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 09:36:55 pm »
Looking good Hayes!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 09:15:07 am »
Another quick update. All the welding is now done and some paint prep starting.

offside rear arch being sorted (like the nearside, this wasn't rusty but had been chopped about to make it wider).

Inner arch:

outer arch cut into shape ready to weld:

and done, also the wheel tub painted with mastic:

underside is being coated in mastic, after that will be underseal and then stonechip:

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2023, 01:55:18 pm »
Money shot:

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 06:10:42 pm »
Looking ace so far, great to see another build thread!

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 07:43:12 am »
Fantastic work work there, hoping the tca Pete got off me have helped you out.
Keep the updates coming

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2023, 12:00:30 pm »
Fantastic work work there, hoping the tca Pete got off me have helped you out.
Keep the updates coming

cheers Gaz, yes the TCA will be a big help. I've not done anything with it yet but will be putting the bush into a new normal polo arm soon. Along with another bush I got off pete so will end up with a decent, basically new pair of g40 arms. I also want to flush out all the old crusty grease from the bushes and put new in. It seems to me that the old ones I have with worn bushes, the grease solidifies and then the bush just wears.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2023, 12:14:22 pm »
Time for another update. Fair bit of progress, Steve has also moved into a bigger unit now so there was some delay while everything got moved into there. He now has loads more space to play with!

underneath seam sealed:

and underseal sprayed on, Upol Gravitex Plus used as it gives a nice finish when sprayed:

That's basically it for the underneath now. It will be getting wax sealer applied too but that needs to happen after paint (apparently it can react with the paint otherwise).

Now Steve has started removing all the paint. Engine bay first:

Then that was painted in Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 to provide a rust proof undercoat:

Now for the main paint removal. We knew this had had some paint applied at various points in the past (see the photos in the first post of this thread). But there was a lot of paint on it to remove!:

Also, as you can see, it's off the spit now and mounted on a dolly to move around and do the paint prep and eventually spraying. Wont be made rolling until all that's done to keep the nice new or powder coated suspension bits nice and clean.

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2023, 07:39:27 pm »
Loving the updates on this, the shell seems a pretty solid one to be fair doesn't it. Alot of hours in striping all that back aswell I bet
Glad the arms have come in handy, any other bits you may need drop me a message I may have stuff in the garage

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2023, 03:13:56 pm »
It's not been too bad, it's needed a few repairs on the floor & sills. It's one of those that if left a few more years would have gone too far.

I think most 2f polos are worse these days though yeah.

Things I need at the moment is a decent genuine driver's side wing (it had pattern ones on and whilst they are fine, I'd rather put genuine ones on) and a decent pair of bumpers as these ones have quite deep scratches on corners of them. A green tint windscreen would be good too as I acquired a full set of green tint glass some years ago but accidentally smashed the windscreen by rolling my other polo into it in the garage a couple of years ago :(