Author Topic: Ignition timing  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Husb0009

Ignition timing
« on: December 03, 2021, 07:32:47 pm »
I have a polo g40 on a PY engine code and it has a toothed supercharger belt. The thing is I carnt seen to find a timing mark on the crank pully. So my question is, is there any other way to set the base timing on the engine. Having some running issues and trying to rule put timing
 Thanks in advance

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Ignition timing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 11:17:34 am »
Hi, are you sure there's no markings on the side of the pulley? I know when I used to have toothed belt, the pulley had the timing marks on the side of it. It was really hard to see them from the top, I used a paint pen to mark the teeth on the pulley the marks lined up with.

Failing that, you'll need to remove the spark plug from cylinder 1 (the end where the belts are) and find top dead centre yourself using ideally a dial gauge with an extension piece poking through the hole onto the top of the piston, turn the engine by hand using a 19mm socket on the crank pulley until you get the piston to the highest point. If you don't have a dial gauge and/or don't have a long enough extension for it, then you can try with a long screwdriver down the spark plug hole resting on top of the piston (don't put any weight on it) and feel for the highest point, not very accurate but it does work and will probably get you to the right tooth on the timing belt if you are careful.

Offline Husb0009

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 11:35:12 pm »
Cheers for the reply mate going to have a good look when I get a minute. But like you say I carnt see anything from the top. Will have to have a look from the side through wheel arch and do as you said Mark it then transfer up the pully.
I'm just in the process of finding a blue temp sensor for it as I think that is faulty as well tried a spurious one but that is wors then the one that was in it originally  cheers for the help mate

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 09:08:20 am »
get a temp sender from VW, I wouldn't bother with any aftermarket ones.