Author Topic: Map sensor  (Read 7995 times)

Offline matthg40

• Members
Map sensor
« on: August 25, 2018, 03:01:56 pm »
Does anyone know the best place to get a replacement map sensor?i can look myself but rather than buy the first one I find I’d rather ask if anyone ones he best place to buy and save myself a few quid rather than spend more tHan I need to.cheers matt

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
Re: Map sensor
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 04:44:07 pm »
Nice to meet you my new old matey!!
Just to check our logic, plugged into a newly powered ecu it gives 'no signal' Map sensor fault.. That'd be right wouldn't it Paul? Just sitting at 45%

Anyone solder swapped a sensor and got the old?
It said 200kpa on it, there's a few 250s that look like they might fit but would need mapping.. I just got that mezsage about one i bst similar..!
Maybe the lower load reading might make up for the bigger injectors but it should be mapped really.. Lambda control will sort most of it out i hope..

Cool mate, happy days.. honoured to meet such a nice normal engineering blole.. Thanks for the door inserts but they are the wrong side :-)

Cool!
Neal
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:46:33 pm by NealPeal »

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 08:51:08 pm »
It was good to meet you to mate had a good time fiddling with the engine.
So basically do I need to order a replacement or are we ok with what we have and just need to play about with a few sensors and things?
I will have a look for other inserts and tell me what else you need and I will see what I have mate

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 11:18:29 pm »
Yehaa, be nice when it's done! Yeah I know you've ordered one, can't wait!

…. but has anyone got experience of uprated sensors, that have got one even that can advise..? I bet you have seen a few haven't you Pete..? :-). What d'you recon, will it need specially chipping?

I did think after, that other chip would be worth plugging in and seeing if the PC connects to it to see if it's processing enough to send data in and out, once the sensors swapped.. !

Nice one, sorted soon
NEAL

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 11:28:46 am »
I’m just wondering if that’s why my old chip from pit stop stopped working because of the map sensor.it was working great then suddenly just stopped ruining the car.
I’m hoping that swapping the sensor over is going to cure the long issue of the bad running to the car.espically paying 16€ shipping fee was nearly as much as the cost of the chip.i see why the products are now cheap because the shipping prices are so high

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 11:31:24 pm »
Kinell, that's something I do forget often, the £postage.. Sorry I forgot the DTI, it's still on the bench where I left it!

Was it the MaxRPM.de sensor units you'd found? They look like a riser PCB with 3 pins and a unit at the top... If it's like that maybe the unit on the PCB can be found...

? Does the MAP unit itself look like it's case comes to bits or is it a solid potted unit? Thinking maybe re-flow the solder on it, maybe it's physically cracked a track or just the pin-ponts... We should have tried waggling it to see if therte was any kind of change.! If you can get over here there's a few things could be tried "just quick" on it electro-mechanically. And I can plug it in my car to see if it cures it...

I've spent most of my waking day watching a 3d printer do some of those badges, stupid rain, we should be outside spraying..!

EG Replacing just this bit?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPX2200AP-Sensor-pressure-Range0-200kPa-absolute-Usup10-16VDC/202297244684?epid=576897159&hash=item2f19dafc0c:g:x3sAAOSwEaNa3zFU?

This is just the bit off the top of the MAX RPM one, can we get to your original ?
https://www.maxrpm.de/Boost-pressure-sensor-250-kPa-15-Bar-MAP-Sensor-incl-mounting-plate-for-easy-soldering

Yay, I've got test badges!
NEAL
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:33:45 pm by NealPeal »

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 11:41:55 pm »
If you zoom in and look at that Max RPM module, it's just a PCB with 3 of the wires from the sensor going through... I'm sure we could make a cheap sensor-only work pretty easy... Guessing it's + - & vout…

I think you've bought one that's on it's way I believe it'll fix everything anyway, but if not this'd be a plan

NEAL

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 12:06:34 pm »
Yep that’s the unit I’ve ordered from maxrpm i persume it’s inside that black sealed box.so I’m hoping when we open it up it will be inside that’s the plan anyway.
How are your badges looking?
Can’t get over to you as I’ve got little one till he goes back school on Thursday so my time is taken up entertaining him till then.and hopefully the sensor will be here then

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 06:00:29 pm »
Perfect, see you Thursday... Be good to see the difference that one sensor makes, I recon it'll sort the engine a lot if there's nought else...! Then after we sort the brakes an that, should be going..!! I'd say put a high % of antifreeze in as cooler if the water in the cylinder was dark yellow, I've left mine with just water for a week and it is *brown* already!

Happy daze, been enjoying it thank you.! What I've been through with my Polo has taught me a lot I recon about it's systems, yours'll be the easy now I hope!

Cheers m'duck, here's to a rare thing. us G40 owners..! You've gotta love playing with them or you'd not have one, but I've had 4 less Polo engines than "A series" engines I kept blowing up…!
NEAL

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 09:10:26 am »
mine has a 250kpa map sensor in it, I think I bought it from Farnell or RS if I remember correctly as it was much cheaper than the maxrpm was at the time (a few years ago). 

I wouldn't open it up, just replace the existing one if you think it is faulty.  I've never known one to go faulty though but I guess anything is possible.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 12:00:57 pm »
mine has a 250kpa map sensor in it, I think I bought it from Farnell or RS if I remember correctly as it was much cheaper than the maxrpm was at the time (a few years ago). 

I wouldn't open it up, just replace the existing one if you think it is faulty.  I've never known one to go faulty though but I guess anything is possible.

Me neither- I have known diagnostic equipment to show a false load/map value of circa 50% when the sensor voltage output is and map sensor are actually fully working.

I'd check the sensor voltage output at 0, 100 and 200kPa before replacing it tbh.

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 12:40:01 pm »
Yoof, yeah, that's the sort of info we needed...! :-) How do you test the pressure? Bear in mind we're on the front with limited kit!
I'm not keen on probing insde there with the box open, the PCB'd have to be hanging to get to the back to get to the pins, there's the black module covering the pins.
Hayesey, does the fact it's a 200 being replaced by a 250 need a new fuel mapping doing.? By the photo's, any old sensor would do just working out which 3 pins go where, presumably just a potential divider. Presumably 0v is total vacuum (0kpa) and 5v is the 250kpa

Cool, that's the good thing about a group of people knowing stuff, there's just not may of us left!
Bestest regards! Can't wait till the new one is here!

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 12:43:35 pm »
Look anything like this Paul?
NEAL Neal orange PEAL!

And to check, the battery lead was off up until plugging the earth back on so should be fault-free... Clearing the faults & re-reading there was a clear "Map sensor no signal"...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 12:45:25 pm by NealPeal »

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 02:47:37 pm »
Yoof, yeah, that's the sort of info we needed...! :-) How do you test the pressure? Bear in mind we're on the front with limited kit!
I'm not keen on probing insde there with the box open, the PCB'd have to be hanging to get to the back to get to the pins, there's the black module covering the pins.
Hayesey, does the fact it's a 200 being replaced by a 250 need a new fuel mapping doing.? By the photo's, any old sensor would do just working out which 3 pins go where, presumably just a potential divider. Presumably 0v is total vacuum (0kpa) and 5v is the 250kpa

Cool, that's the good thing about a group of people knowing stuff, there's just not may of us left!
Bestest regards! Can't wait till the new one is here!

You need a miti-vac and a multi-meter (and probably a few sets of hands)

No point in replacing a 200kPa sensor with a 250kPa one. You lose resolution of the map and the cost of a bespoke map would be far greater than a new ECU (if indeed the map sensor is goosed)

I'll still be surprised if it is knackered, I've seen them full of methanol, over-pressured and all whilst being 20+ years old.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 02:58:10 pm »
So have I just spent €41 on a map sensor I don’t need then.i did wonder why maxrpm were so quick to sell it to me