Author Topic: Unknown fault code, are any of these measurements well off?  (Read 11605 times)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Unknown fault code, are any of these measurements well off?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 05:35:02 pm »
so I decided to get my "new" vagcom lead working since the old laptop I had with an RS232 port is well and truly dead now.

I had some mixed results.  The reason I am doing this is that I seem to have a running issue now.

I kind of got it working but it seemed very unreliable, two things I found, I am using VCDS as I found that vwtool.exe wont work on any modern computer:

- connection was very intermittent.  I sometimes had to keep re-trying, unplugging & replugging the lead before it would eventually connect to the ECU and read codes.  I must have tried over 50 times yesterday and got it to connect twice.  In the "test" section, it said the latency was poor.

- I could only get it to work with the engine running, not just ignition on.

Neal & Steve, did you find this too or does it work reliably on yours and with the engine off (ignition on)? 

I am wondering if this is actually a symptom of my running issue and that there is either a wiring problem or an earthing problem or a problem with the ECU itself? I have a spare ECU on route to test.  I am going to test the loom next.  In my mind at least, a bad earth could also cause an issue with the serial communication between the lead and the ECU.

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 01:08:04 pm »
I can confirm my VCDS connected to a KKL connects, engine on or off, 100% reliably +- 0.01%..
So to document my "Engine Off" readings, it's not -14' here, but that's normal! (I am told)

Block 1 to 3 -

Block 4 to 6

Bestest's
Neal

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 03:01:16 pm »
could you post what is shown on the "options" screen after pressing the Test button too please?  Mine shows "poor" latency, I'm interested in what I should be getting.

Fairly sure I have an issue with my loom and/or earths.

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 07:18:13 pm »

Yeah, excellent latency on mine, well spotted....
NEAL :-~
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:22:38 pm by NealPeal »

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 07:30:50 pm »
Here's my 2000 RPM stats after the new petrol... Much less smoke, a bit less rattly.. But still the oil-light to sort out...

Cool, o2 sensor looks OK..
NEAL :-D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:42:35 pm by NealPeal »

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 07:45:31 pm »
And at idle (blurry photo gets sorted tomo)

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 11:26:54 am »
Do you want to borrow my ECU? I don't have a spare one but I've yet to touch it since the gearbox shat itself, so realistically it'll probably be another month or something until I get round to doing something. It's got an aftermarket /PPP (not sure) chip in it I think but you're welcome to try it?

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2018, 10:50:16 am »
I'd like to in the end if i Dont get joy thanks 10^6 but I'm too skint to be able to cover even the post let alone a replacement if that gets blown..
What im most interested in at the mo is the co pot value.. just a thought, is yours adjustable? Am i supposed to drill it out.?could you nip on yours and tell me the ecu voltage reading at rest.. i can change it with resistors, but what should it be?
Its still labouring at 3k just sat on the driive, i bet a run out'd do it good..
And I've got to check the oil pressure, I'll order a meter kit next giro day :-)

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 04:39:26 pm »
A bit over the top to measure the oil pressure!!
http://www.lightdiodedesigns.co.uk/QuickPics//pressureTestKit.jpg
That's why I normally get my dad to order things off ebay but it looked in a a nice box so I bought it, but 500psi! If it moves 1/10 FSD I'll count that as the engine is pumping OK, but I don't think it'll read anything for fuel pressure that's meaningful..
No matter, if the pipe fills with oil I can rest easy! :-)

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 02:27:03 pm »
YYYEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The battle with the o2 sensor is won!!!
WOULD YOU BELIEVE?; EARTHING THE EXHAUST PIPE DID IT....!!!!

I noticed the resistance between probe-body and battery-earth was about 4 ohms... The same as the probe-heater...!!! So I stuck a jumplead between battery and probe-body, and suddenly the traces made sense...!!

Going up to .69v, down to .13!!!!!!!!!! :-D x 10^6 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the oil leak is *better* too, just hoping the drips are from the rocker-cover...!!!!
NEAL

Offline steveo3002

• Members
  • 91 golf g60 , 89 gti 16v , 88 breadvan
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2018, 09:28:10 pm »
strange ...maybe bad earths on the stock positions as it should earth through the engine and then the earth points id have thought

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2018, 01:45:58 pm »
So strange, everything is again *OK*, WITH OR WITHOUT the extra earthing.!!!!  If VCDS says the probe is at 0.47v it's not working I have found on mine... I think I might suspect that was the voltage drop because of the heater current
I am beginning to wonder about earths in general! The 3ohm measured is the heater resistance, hopefully just a fluke, or the heater wires are backwards and somehow referenced to earth..
Funny though, remember the top of this thread I said "Is -11' a normal inlet temperature and there was an answer "Yes", well now I've got a temperature of 10' we're cooking, maybe coincidence again, I am starting to doubt any logic

But at the end of yesterday there was quite a pile of black foam on the floor under the exhaust, carbon black and frothy... You can imagine I was thinking "head gasket?".. But today, the little bit of water that came out the exhaust was clear and no black... :-D  SO I HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE...! From mega-rich to normal. I dunno how what or why it is but it is OK now I am sure.!

Note the temperature!!! :-)

:-)

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 12:15:30 am »
T.B. Angle? Is that throttle body angle? Seems a bit of a strange range of values...!
Any ideas Steve?

Offline steveo3002

• Members
  • 91 golf g60 , 89 gti 16v , 88 breadvan
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 08:27:06 am »
yeah if its stuck at 40 its not right....having said that when i first tested mine it went from 0-80 (ign on ) when you pump the pedal , smooth as silk and instant response , now its glitchy and takes a good 10 secs to respond , spare one just the same and mates car same again

dunno if its genuine fault or im thinking maybe the cable /software isnt loving it

dont be too concerned whats coming out the exhaust , it will take miles of driving to clear it

yes the earths need to be spot on , you could replace the one near the coil and alternator, and ive seen it mentioned to run a spare between the o2 bracket and battery post...get the fattest cable you can for the first two       

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 09:19:34 am »
yes I've seen TB Angle on my VCDS, it's just decoding some value incorrectly.  I don't think VCDS knows about G40 digifant.  There's definitely no way it's getting a TB angle reading from the ECU, it will be something else that it's decoding incorrectly.

From what I've seen in the past using vwtool, block 2 value 3 seems to be ignition advance.  I think this list is fairly reliable:

display group 01
1 coolant temp (blue temp sensor)
2 engine speed (RPM, from the hall sensor)
3 lambda signal
4 injection period

1 coolant temp (blue temp sensor)
2 engine speed (RPM, from the hall sensor)
3 not for service dept (seems to be ignition advance, units in BTDC anyway)
4 engine load (map sensor)

coolant temp (blue temp sensor)
engine speed (RPM, from the hall sensor)
not for service dept (this appears to be inlet temp)
c0 pot voltage

04 the same as 03

coolant temp
not for service dept (seems to be inlet temp)
not for service dept (seems to be a temperature but not sure what)
not for service dept (seems to be battery voltage)