Author Topic: Air temp sensor (broken or not)  (Read 4081 times)

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
Air temp sensor (broken or not)
« on: July 07, 2018, 08:31:32 pm »
I need an air-temp sensor, I'd pay for a second hand one or a broken one even, but I can imagine the owners of working ones keeping them, they are rare probably.
But a broken one I can pull to bits would be great if there's one in a box anywhere I can pay for.

I touched cloth when I saw this..
The symptom to cure is that the Ecu thinks it's -11'c and the VCD voltage reading is what is on the meter between 2 of the pins so I can suspect the unit.

For the £220 VWHeritage need for the part I'll attempt to fix the broken one. I didn't realise it was the CO pot too...? I always imagined that to be a turnpot but not from what mine looks like... If the Haynes is right then there's 2 resistances just down to earth (I've checked in <1ohm). Maybe one is set "by provincial governance" to their desired level, and one is a thermistor... It reacts strangely to digital resistance probing so I recon it's silicon in some way or another, changing the visible thermistor might be an idea too, but I'd like to see one torn-down just to see..

Jeepers its' a lot but if it stops the over-fuelling it'll save me a cat... Once it works it's going I recon, but it's got to be OK first...

Cool
NEAL
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:12:53 pm by NealPeal »

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Re: Air temp sensor (broken or not)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 01:47:40 am »
Got a few on the shelf 50 quid

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 07:17:03 pm »
Thanks grungey, I'll keep that in mind VW heritage wanted a shed load for one!!

Somehow my engine started being brilliant and the temperature went to normal ish when i was fiddling with the wiring and i dint need one after all, i should have taken this off.. i recon i could stick a new thermistor in if there's any broken ones
Many thanks, i might need one one day thanks..
Appreciated
Neal

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 09:02:41 am »
whenever I've used vagcom/vcds/vwtool it's already shown me a crazy value for the inlet air temp sensor, values of -11, -20 etc...  I don't think this is a faulty sensor.  I've tried it with multiple sensors.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 09:41:56 am »
Weird as! Well offers always here mate, I’ll be running three g engines so always keep spares.

Just got my diagnostic plug so looking forward to having a play and I’ll check the values of mine

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 09:42:36 am »
I have spare ecu’s/looms too if you ever have more mischief

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 06:29:28 pm »
Wow, that is useful thanks... I bet there's a few might need one or two bits soon seems they're getting to the age they are a bit crunchy now.. I recon the 2 cars that went from lumpy to smooth happened moving the bulkhead-bundle...

Cheers, about time did grunge die d'you recon? ;-)
NEAL