Author Topic: New members / guests.... join up!  (Read 5595 times)

Offline ereeiz

• Members
New members / guests.... join up!
« on: June 06, 2018, 04:02:22 pm »
I regularly see a lot of guests online but barely anyone ever seems to post, seems like my own personal forum at times  ;D

If you're a guest or a lurker, register and start posting!

e.g. right now there's 20 guests browsing apparently but only 1 member (myself).

Join in! What brought you here? Looking for help/ info? Something else?

Offline physicsfool

• Members
Re: New members / guests.... join up!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 07:36:24 am »
Yeah the guest number always confuses me, forums are so quiet these days. But easily the best place for useful information. Is the G40 slowly being forgotten?

I need to purchase another shell at some point and build up an engine with my spares.

But do keep popping in from time to time

Offline Roach

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 11:45:20 am »
It is a bit quiet isn’t it.

I’m shoving a g40 into my swallowtail golf, I really need a 4 branch that works with the g40 engine as I purchased an eBay special before I really did any research. :/

Anyway, hi there... :)

Offline NeilG40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 08:50:22 am »
I pop in and have a look every now and then, probably looking for inspiration to do something with my car that hasn't moved in around 14 years.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 08:51:31 am »
I think most of the "guests" will be webbots,  search engine crawlers and spam-bots.  I delete several account per day that sign up to try to spam.

I agree the forum is very quiet these days, I think many forums are, things have moved on really.  Everyone seems to prefer facebook groups these days. 

Also I think G40s are getting very thin on the ground now, there seems to be very little coming up for sale where as a couple of years ago there was always a few knocking about for sale.  I think a combination of them getting scrapped and perhaps some being stored away.

I have no plans to get rid of the forum though, it costs me next to nothing to run and takes little of my time.

Offline NeilG40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 08:55:00 am »
I don't really get on with facebook groups, any decent information soon gets lost and doesn't have the permancence that a forum has.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 08:59:42 am »
Yes I agree, I also find most of the replies people post on them are garbage or just what kids these days call "banter".  I think a forum forces you to put a bit more thought into what you are saying.  I am a member of various car groups on facebook and I do enjoy seeing some of the more interesting stuff that gets posted - usually some pictures of an interesting car someone has seen or ebay links to cool stuff for sale.  But there's very little real technical info posted and no permanence like you say.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 09:16:34 am »
Couldn't agree more. I still try and reference stuff I wrote on PSD forum. That was switched off, what, 10-12 years ago?

I love a forum. Not a fan of the fb style. I like it for it being fb, but I don't see it as an information resource.

I did wonder if it was spam bots as guests. Saw a few pop up a few weeks back. Good work keeping them out! How much does it cost to run/year? I don't mind contributing something, It's literally the only forum I go on. I'm stuck in about 2005.

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 06:47:27 pm »
Seems facebook has killed a lot of forums although has ClubG40 ever been that busy?? I've only been around for 5-6 years but it's been quiet most of that time.

I got rid of facebook a few years back, pile of rubbish.. I come on here daily and it's probably the only car related forum I go on these days.  ;D

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 12:11:43 pm »
It's never been as busy as say clubpolo or clubgti were in their hey-days but it used to be quite a bit busier than it is now, going back a few years mind.

Thanks for the offer ereeiz, it's fine though we do sell the odd can of charger spray etc... to cover costs and the server hosting I sort for free via work.

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 11:15:35 pm »
I'm usually a guest as I check on my phone to see if there's anything new/interesting/or anyway I can contribute. Then I would use my laptop to comment, that's changed as it died yesterday and I've finally logged in on my phone. Potentially other people are as lazy as me like that?