Author Topic: G40 engine rebuild ?  (Read 3791 times)

Offline PeteDG2

G40 engine rebuild ?
« on: March 21, 2018, 04:19:00 pm »
Advice needed please, plenty of it!

PeteG40 recommended I post my dilemma, to tap into this valuable resource called Club G40...

So, I replicate my quandary as follows;

"I'm no mechanic, nor engine-knowledgeable, just a long time owner who loves his car.

Brief details of my issue;

1. on local journey, climbing a short hill, accelerated to clear what seemed to be a bit of coking build-up
2. engine 'blew' and began burning oil as was evident from rear view mirror
3. was able to keep going a mile until pulled up on destination car park
4. opened bonnet to find oil everywhere, as if all seals burst
5. was able to drive the 9 miles home
6. was able to drive car 16 miles to garage at no more than 40 mph for assessment/diagnosis
7. trusted mechanic determined engine rebuild needed - probably s/charger too as had a slow oil leak it appeared
8. agreement for 'when-poss' engine rebuild by VW mad mechanic not eventually possible
9. car currently sitting at garage waiting for me to bring home and do whatever....

I was probably in vain, hoping to find someone who was qualified to rebuild the engine, maybe gradually, which would suit my budget!
I'd agreed with my trusted mechanic for him to take the engine apart and hopefully rebuild, unless he found an issue which would make a rebuild impracticable i.e. cost. He couldn't find the time, which is what I suspected after a while. That's why the car is still at his garage.

The costs involved, even if I find a reputable someone, would probably determine repairs impracticable (if not prohibitive!) but I don't know... for sure.

My options seem to be;

1. find 'a someone' reputable, able and willing and pay...whatever
2. sell the car as a project

The car had been running really well, though the s/charger should have been serviced about 10K+ miles ago! I live near Dumfries, Scotland and had the charger serviced by Jabba at the 'correct' time, when I lived in the Midlands. Being so distant from Jabba and poor finances, meant I was always putting it off. I think it has now done about 135K miles. Some bodywork repairs are going to be needed eg, rusting through adjacent to the fuel cap flap. I had the BBS re-done about 18 mths ago, have always kept it serviced, had lots of new parts, bought bodywork spares/replacements, have all the receipts ..somewhere! My car has always been a daily-user.

I do wonder whether it's the s/charger that's blown a seal, as I was able to still drive the car but clearly without any power from the engine, just a steady pace.

Do you know anyone who does such rebuilds I could discuss the car with and if I decide to sell, where would you advise I advertise it? (on here of course, eBay probably). The car would need to be collected by trailer I suspect.

Any advice etc you can give is very much welcomed.

I at least need to get the car home."

PeteG40 says: "To be honest it sounds just like you have a blocked engine breather, and that this is pressurising the crankcase, and that is making is spew oil out everywhere (perhaps also it may have blown the seals in the charger too). However g40s are also known for melting pistons - which it could be. Hard to say without knowing more."

Since putting this to PeteG40, I've submitted an enquiry with Bedrockretrodubs, Motherwell re engine rebuild and awaiting response.

Many thanks indeed,
Pete

Offline Martyng40

Re: G40 engine rebuild ?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 06:40:58 pm »
Alright buddy I’m a dg2 man as well with a non running G
Who was your mechanic and I might be able to help..

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 08:30:03 pm »
Did your mechanic actually do anything whilst he had it then? To me taking the charger off is the first thing to see if it just that. I've had a blocked breather before a couple of times and the oil goes everywhere. I was lucky and didnt damage anything at all on two occasions and everything was fine after clearing the blockage.

Does it run ok or is it coughing/spluttering when running, is it down on power?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 11:07:48 am »
Compression check & report back  :)

Also photograph the plugs and post some photos.

Did it blow the dipstick out the tube?

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 12:11:02 pm »
You can always pull the engine out and the charger, stick it on a pallet and post it down here to someone that would do it. I just went back to work a month ago or I'd have done it for you, spent the prior 6 months off floating about looking for stuff like this to do.

I have a friend that's built a couple of his own who may be interested in the "slowly, to suit my budget rebuild". I can ask him if he'd be interested? He's by me in Pershore, Worcestershire.

If it still runs, can you get a video? Crank the settings up as high as possible too so it's easy to see / hear everything.

Offline PeteDG2

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 06:45:01 pm »
Alright buddy I’m a dg2 man as well with a non running G
Who was your mechanic and I might be able to help..

Hi and thanks for the reply. My car has been serviced for the last 10 years at Akers Garage, now at Heathhall Dumfries. How are you able to help? I'll certainly make note of it.

(As a reply to all) I'm discussing possibilities with Bedrockretrodubs and intend to see where that takes me for the time being.

Sorry I've not replied sooner due to working.

Cheers

Offline PeteDG2

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 06:58:40 pm »
Did your mechanic actually do anything whilst he had it then? To me taking the charger off is the first thing to see if it just that. I've had a blocked breather before a couple of times and the oil goes everywhere. I was lucky and didnt damage anything at all on two occasions and everything was fine after clearing the blockage.

Does it run ok or is it coughing/spluttering when running, is it down on power?

Hi and thanks for sharing your useful sounding experience. Not sure exactly what the mech actually did so can't help there, other than the engine needed stripping down and likely engine rebuild. I do agree that the supercharger would be a potential first, certainly second call for that "someone" who may look at it. Your experience with the blocked breather sounds bang on, so I'm keen to have that looked at, given it's blocked, seeing whether that resolves issue. I haven't had the car running for some months but when I drove it to the garage...yes it was down on power and coughy/throaty all the way. I couldn't get above 45 mph really and it didn't want to get up any hill or incline!

Thanks for your reply, really helpful.
Pete

Offline PeteDG2

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 07:12:51 pm »
Compression check & report back  :)

Also photograph the plugs and post some photos.

Did it blow the dipstick out the tube?

Hi and thanks. TBH I don't remember if it blew the dipstick out!! It's been a while....

I've just remembered though that before I drove the car to the garage, I discovered a really strange elongated grey hair-like material protruding from the exhaust. I've no idea what this could be, possibly from the cat converter?? Any views on that...anyone? I have a pic somewhere which I may post if it helps...

As I noted I'm no mechanic and I don't think busy trusted garage-man is likely to do a comp-check for me. It's also not going to be likely I'll get pics of the plugs....anytime soon anyhow. If I can though, I will and post.....

Cheers

Offline PeteDG2

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 07:23:02 pm »
You can always pull the engine out and the charger, stick it on a pallet and post it down here to someone that would do it. I just went back to work a month ago or I'd have done it for you, spent the prior 6 months off floating about looking for stuff like this to do.

I have a friend that's built a couple of his own who may be interested in the "slowly, to suit my budget rebuild". I can ask him if he'd be interested? He's by me in Pershore, Worcestershire.

If it still runs, can you get a video? Crank the settings up as high as possible too so it's easy to see / hear everything.

Hi and thanks. I'm not sure this is an option I'd go for right now but worth noting. I think if I was having to go to this level, I'd probably prefer to sell the car on as a project. Pity I'm not still in the Midlands though! Many thanks for the helpful offer.

As I'm seeing where Bedrockretrodubs takes me, I'll report back on what I decide to do....

However, if ANYONE has any idea what the strange hair-like material is/was hanging out the exhaust I'd be VERY interested to know!!

ATB
Pete
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:31:04 pm by PeteDG2 »

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 10:45:36 am »
Pull it out. It's probably wadding from your resonator (the cylindrical exhaust box under your gearstick) or rear exhaust silencer. The cat is like a mesh, they tend to break into tiny bits and rattle before being blown out the exhaust. An exhaust silencer is (for ease of description) a pipe with tons of holes in it all the way round, it's wrapped in glass fibre like loft insulation with wire wrapped around to keep it in place, this is inserted into the exhaust box and sealed in. When they rot internally sometimes the wadding can get pushed out the back, this is what you're seeing. I can't think what else it would be?

Clench your fist and hit the silencer a few times with the side of your hand (from your pinkie to your wrist) you'll probably hear shit rattling around, that'll be the internals falling apart. The remedy is getting a new exhaust.