Author Topic: Hello all, new owner... kinda..  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Roach

Hello all, new owner... kinda..
« on: October 23, 2017, 08:11:34 pm »
I’ve just got hold of a polo gt with a g40 engine.

Plan is to put the engine and box into my small block 1.1 mk1 golf.

Has anyone on here done this conversion?

Can I use the Shifter and rod from the polo, or use my existing 1.1 setup... which is from 1974 and completely knackered?
I know I have to modify both engine and gearbox mounts, any tips?
What 4 branch is a good one for this engine?

Any help would be sweet.

Cheers!

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Re: Hello all, new owner... kinda..
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:35:40 am »
I've not done it into a mk1 golf but there's a few on here that have, try the search function, there's probably quite a bit of info spread about.

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 09:09:43 pm »
You need the part which bolts to the gearbox selector rod and the cage from the end of the shifter rod on the 5 speed. They should work in combination with the golf shift rod. Setting up the spline onto the golf may take some trial and error, but it should go physically.

For the engine mounts, the gearbox mounts can be cut and welded together to get it working. As for the charger bracket; fabricating a landing onto the golf chassis leg for the polo mount will (probably) be the easiest route.

Offline Roach

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 04:07:24 pm »
Hi there, wow sorry for the late response.

The Shifter parts you mention, I’ve got the end that connects to the gearbox selector. What other bit do you mean?

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 08:49:22 am »
So the casting and ball which attaches to the gearbox selector rod (with a single screw) are two different parts for the 4 and 5 speed. The ball is physically smaller on the 4 speed and the casting is possibly slightly different also.

Consequently the cage which attaches to this - what I was referring to as the shifter rod is smaller on your golf as it would have been 4 speed. This cage is attached to the shifter rod with a spline and pinch bolt. So you need to source this part from a 5 speed early Polo and swap it in conjunction with the selector rod ball-component.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:49:33 am by randombadger69 »