Author Topic: G40 value  (Read 7523 times)

Offline randombadger69

• Members
Re: G40 value
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 10:16:09 am »
Good man!

The beauty is; if the headgasket goes; you can have it replaced in a day comfortably. If you get a modern car and the same happens; it's an utter ball ache usually.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 11:00:22 am »
That's a fair point I've done head gaskets in a few days.just need to service my supercharger and my 40 should be good for another couple of years.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 11:12:43 am »
I dont want to throw a spanner in the works, but it depends if you still have the desire to maintain and drive an older car. There is no shame in selling up for something newer. But in terms of a small quick car that is easy to maintain its the ideal candidate. But rememeber you know this car top to bottom, buying something else puts you back to square one. But I enjoy starting a new project. Unfortunate that its value hasnt followed other similar aged car.

I would say your car is worth 3-3.5k if you are willing to wait for the right person that appreciates all the time and effort you put in

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 12:44:33 pm »
HiC do agreed valuations for reference! I think I had to pay an extra £12 or something and submit an inventory of everything non standard.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 10:35:51 pm »
The problem I have is what do you swap a g40 for?a nippy little hot hatch and there isn't much about at the minute with character and performance like a g40 as regards to a newer car.ive looked at an Audi s3 and the bloke in the showroom said stick with the polo the audis aren't that great and you have to spend a lot to get power out of them and I tend to agree.i love my car it's my pride and joy at the end of the day

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 11:10:55 am »
I agree 1000000000000000000000% Everything after about 1995 is bland, rounded, boring, quiet, assisted, safe, damped, yawn. I honestly prefer to drive my ratty old shitbox £500 GT than I do new Range Rovers. I'm lucky enough to drive them as I work there but I find it the same of any modern car from any manufacturer. The closest I got was an Ibiza 160 diesel but I remember moaning like fuck about that for a year when I got it because it was too modern and assisted.

Trouble is, everything is hampered by safety and ease of use nowadays, I can rant for days about this. Completely understand all the reasons why, etc and don't disagree as 99% of the world just want commuter boxes, or super fast cars that require no skill to drive as it'll save you if you brake 3/4 the way through a wet corner because you don't know how to drive....... I like the excitement, the feedback, the ability to be able to see all around with my own eyes as opposed to cameras and mirrors and the fact that if I push too hard on the middle pedal, I'll lock up, if I don't steer correctly I can crash and die because it's a 30 year old mild steel car designed 50 years ago. It all adds to it for me. The smell too, you don't get the smell of half burnt fuel on modern cars because, you know, they run properly hahahh.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 11:48:00 am »
Plus you cannot work or get access to new cars engines without having to take off all the plastic and sound proofing either.plus most of them require you to now take them to the main dealer to now have them serviced or worked on which is abit of an annoyance.so I'm more than happy with my car and proud to be an owner of my g40.