Author Topic: G40 value  (Read 7522 times)

Offline matthg40

• Members
G40 value
« on: July 03, 2017, 02:09:17 pm »
I'm reluctantly thinking of selling my g40 as I need something more reliable as I can't keep up with the maintenance and work needed to keep it on the road.im just wondering how much it's actually worth and where's the best place to advertise it to get the best value for it.its certainly not the best g40 out there but it's also not the worst out there either.ive spent a lot of money and time and effort on it aswell.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: G40 value
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 03:29:35 pm »
somewhere between £500 & £5000.  More information is needed to say anything else.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 04:24:50 pm »
What kind of information are we taking I know my post was brief but I'm just curious really I'm reluctant to sell my g40 but it's 26 years old now and could really do with something abit more reliable as I've had it nearly 11 years and maybe change is needed sadly.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 05:28:39 pm »
I think the main thing now that differentiates a £500 car from a £5000 is the state of the bodywork.  Obviously stuff like the charger service history too.  But it's G40s with straight bodywork that are getting harder to find so are the ones worth more.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 06:13:25 pm »
Mine just has a few Tesco car park dents in which aren't from me as I've kept mine off the road.its rust free,have all the receipts for the supercharger service history and important service work so it's not a bad little car.its not the best but it's not the worst out there that's for sure

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 10:02:30 pm »
Mileage, service history, general condition, mods/originality. All play a part in the price. Whats broken and needs fixing, whats just been replaced. The usual stuff.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 09:40:27 am »
I knew mileage and service history played a big part in any car value I guess the dents in mine could be the issue with mine really.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 10:13:21 am »
Answer the following to give people a better idea and more accurate value (off the top of my head so a bit of a random order);

1. Year/reg?
2. Colour?
3. Sunroof model?
4. Original or donor?
5. Standard or modified?
6. Modifications;
A. Body (e.g. removed arch kit)
B. Suspension/drivetrain (e.g. FK coilovers with PPP stage 3 subframe)
C. Engine (e.g. 1341cc accralite pistons, balanced crank)
D. Interior (e.g. Corrado seats)
E. Misc.
7. MOT due? Did it pass last MOT without issue? Do you anticipate anything needed for next MOT if it's due?
8. Mileage?
9. Any work need doing to it?
10. Service history? If not, why not, if yes, when is it up to?
11. CHARGER history. No one wants to buy a car with a rattly old charger about to pop.
12. Original G40 gearbox (ATV code).
13. Anything else I forgot!

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 11:37:51 am »
1.H reg 1991
2. Black
3. Sunroof doesn't work can fix if needed
4. Original logbook and sticker in boot as proof
5. Engine modified chassis standard
A.arch kit and trims present
B.lowered 60mm all round
C.standard 1272 block with other modifications
D.standard g40 interior
E. R1 supercharger
    Gt Inlet manifold
    G60 golf ralle injectors
    Ported,polished and had flowed throttle body
    Smaller belt and pullies
    Cosworth front mount intercooler
    Jabba sport stage 2 performance chip
7.11 months mot left and had got through last 3 mots woth no faults.
8.134,000 but had engine with 87,000 but no proof sadly
9.needs bodywork dents removing,sunroof fixin
10.vw service history up until I owned the car then I have always done the service work and kept reciepts of parts needed.supercharger serviced 7 years ago but car hasn't been o. The road for 5 years due to health reasons.so car has only done 4 miles in 5 years.
12.original g40 gearbox on the car

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 02:19:22 pm »
Sills, rear arches, battery tray and chassis legs. Condition of these for me is most important, other engine parts are bolt on, and whilst can be difficult to find, they're fairly cheap when you do.

Proper repair work to the body is costly, and given the age of cars a quick fix & bodge 15 years ago, will more than likely require a full on multiple panel replacement and respray - equal or exceeding the value of the car in most cases.

If it's an honest car which just needs TLC, then start the bidding at 3k, but be prepared to take something around £2600-£2700 for it.

There are very, very few cars which would command near £5k - G40s are often worth less than the sum of their parts!

Offline kwijibo_coupe

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 04:44:23 pm »
I'd always say a genuine G40, that is MOT'd ready to drive away is worth at least £2k-2.5k all day long. Mainly because they should fetch that in parts if it turns out to be a right dog. Condition, servicing, modifications and general health will play a big part in deciding if it is worth more or less than that.

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 05:58:15 pm »
Pretty interesting thread, the prices of these are all over the place recently.. but I guess it's down to what someones willing to pay as there's not usually enough for sale at the same time to compare them.

I think most buyers these days are just the ones interested to see if they're any quick...not actual enthusiasts so sadly the prices aren't going to be high.

If yours has passed it's last 3 MOT's fine and has barely moved how is it costing you too much to run? they're cheap to insure and tax isn't THAT extreme for the age.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 08:22:23 pm »
I meant it's cost me to much to run over the years I've looked at the reciepts I've spent over the years and I could of paid a deposit on a house by now.its scary how much I've actually spent on that car let alone the graft blood sweat and tears aswell.

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 08:56:17 pm »
Surely not worth selling now then for £2.5k; after all that investment!

That's how I look at it.

What really fucks me off is trying to get an agreed valuation on a heavily modified/nut and bolt restoration. Insurers do a quick google; find only one for sale, then base the value of yours on the price of that.

If it was a mk1 golf gti; they'd easily agree a value north of 5k for a good one, because there's always half a dozen for sale between 5-10k.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 09:25:21 pm »
After the comments I've got there is no way I'd sell for 2.5k I've got a shed for of spare parts half an engine plus body panels and all sorts.its my pride and joy but it has never been the most reliable car but what do you expect for a 26 year old car.but that's why I love it because I can always tinker with it and try to improve it.i guess you lot have made up my mind for me