Author Topic: spraying the intercooler?  (Read 2363 times)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
spraying the intercooler?
« on: January 20, 2009, 03:34:40 pm »
Got a FMIC to go with my eaton goodies but its looking a lil shabby. I want to spray it black to match the car and give things a stealthier look! Is there any downsides to doing this? (loss of cooling etc?)

Also, could i get away with spraying the eaton as well, if i masked off all the important bits? Would look alot neater imo.

Comments please.

cheers

Jon.

Offline Varley

• Members
Re: spraying the intercooler?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 04:40:14 pm »
I'd have thought painting it black would make it more efficient so long as you kept the surface area constant i.e no clumps blocking the fins.

Darker colours are better radiators of heat iirc?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 05:14:07 pm »
not going to make any noticable difference.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 07:07:05 pm »
well thank fook for that! Been out to halfrauds and brought a can of black heat proof spray paint. Gave the i/c a quick blast with in in my spare room where its not too cold and i'll give it another one later on. Pics tomorrow.

What about spraying my eaton? If i mask of the pulley face, inlet & outlet, it would be ok won't it? Just want to obtain a decent finish in my engine bay without going too anal.

Offline sohailG40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:27:30 pm »
o well painting the eaton is one good thing i guess it much quicker than wot i have started with my one
i started to polish mine to a mirror finish i tell you what it fucking takes ages  :D