Author Topic: About the G40  (Read 3716 times)

Offline read88

• Members
About the G40
« on: January 20, 2009, 01:19:04 am »
I'm pretty fanatic about the idea of investing in a project soon, i've looked at god knows how many different cars. And now i'm taking the G40 into question.

Just to state now, i don't muck about appearance-wise, unless it's subtle. My mate Matt from Chichester owns a supercharged G40, which, frankly, scared the shit outta me. This is the sorta thing I'm going for.. I have considered lotsa cars from a track prepped 306 Rallye, to a possible Rat look Mk1 golf GTi.

Could anyone give me some stats of a standard G40, and what's a Polo GT? because i've had them mentioned to me as well.. I'm gonna assume they're not gonna be as nippy as a G40, but any info on them would be very much appreciated..

Ta very much, Newbie Read. :)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: About the G40
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:32:57 am »
hi, welcome to the forum.

Lots of g40 stats here:

http://www.polog40.co.uk/article_origspec.php

They are 113bhp as standard but it's quite easy to get them to about 150bhp with things like a smaller charger pulley, ecu remapped chip, decent air filter, exhaust etc...

A polo GT has a similar engine but without the supercharger, it makes 75bhp as standard.  Can be tuned to about 90bhp without going crazy.  They are a totally different car to drive though and in a different league in terms of performance, I had a GT for best part of three years as my daily driver so the G40 could stay in the garage. They are good fun, nippy little cars don't get me wrong but you'll be very disappointed if you bought one expecting the performance to be anywhere near that of a g40.

cheers,
Paul.

Offline read88

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 10:18:34 am »
Brilliant, thanks for your response, couldn't have asked for more, much appreciated.

Ben

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 07:11:54 pm »
MY GT would keep up with a tandard G40 to around 55/60 and that was really thrashing the nuts off it!

G40 love is a special thing ;-)

Offline read88

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 07:44:03 pm »
Also, I know the G40 is a very rare sight these days, the chances of picking one up for below £1200 are...? 0% or is it possible..? I've no problem getting a knackered one, (so long as it has the charger still) Because i'm moving into my own flat and would like to be able to keep it as a hobby, and create what i want in my spare time.. (as if i'll have any).

Is the standard engine the same as the GT? with the supercharger and up-rated parts? or am i being completely dense there?

Now, I figure the bhp/ton would be in the region of 160 on the G40? is that about right? because that would wipe the floor with most things.. And the car i have to be able to flatten at any opportunity is a Saxo VTS.. I cannot stand them, nor the filth that so often end up driving them. (no offence meant to anyone who currently owns one) So if anyone believes that simply a GT would be capable of this task, feel free to explain how and why :)

Sorry about the flippin essays.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 08:55:22 pm »
MY GT would keep up with a tandard G40 to around 55/60 and that was really thrashing the nuts off it!

G40 love is a special thing ;-)

I guess your gt was no where near standard then?

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 09:15:46 pm »
sounds like there was something special in there,, should beat a saxo vts no problem, you will have to shop around if you want one that cheap, i'd say you'd get a half decent one for around 2 grand, i paid £1500 for mine as a non runner, and i had to salvage a full interior and get it running properly as well. where abouts are you Ben?

cheers Tom

Offline read88

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 09:27:21 pm »
Hmm, that's what i thought.. So do you think a GT wouldn't be able to be modded to be able to brush off a VTS? Or just much much easier in a G40 lol... I'm currently in the Chichester area, but I'm going to be moving up to a studio apartment in Weybridge, Surrey as of next week. But i'll have my own space to work on whatever i decide to go for..

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 09:30:35 pm »
oh, defo a g40, no doubt, the gt would need a hell of a lot of work doing to get it super quick. thats why ppl do engine conversions with them by sticking a g40 lump inside.
easier to just buy one in the first place  :D

Offline read88

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 09:34:43 pm »
Haha, okay, that's fair enough. But I'm not doing an engine conversion, I find it a mortal sin to put an engine from a very very rare car, into a not very rare car.. hateful thing to do. Well, i'll have to get some help to find a G40 then.. do you think someone would take a 306 1.6 meridian in part-ex hahaha.