Author Topic: Exhaust ideas  (Read 2293 times)

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Exhaust ideas
« on: May 22, 2017, 04:51:16 pm »
My manifold is cracked as a cracked old worn out 4-2-1 can be. Its one of the FK whatsit called ones (which I don't recommend to anyone reading, remember having issues trying to fit it when I converted my CL last year). Anyway, went to do the clutch and noticed I've got about probably 4-5 inches of cracks appearing around the 4-2 part. As it was already repaired when I did my conversion and has covered maybe 1000 miles before I parked it for the last year, I'm thinking I'll get a new one.

Then I looked at prices and my eyes almost fell out in a cartoon style. for 4 bent pipes and a bit of welding, they seem to demand huge money. So I started thinking of making my own (got a mate that used to make all the rallyart exhaust for all the mitsubishi rally cars back in the good old days! I'm sure I could ask him / use his equipment). Thought I'd ask on here though, anyone ever used flexible piping? I came across this, just browsing for ideas / cost of pipe. They're local to me and state these flexible pipes are used for all sorts of things which got me wondering, why not just use flexible piping? Saves pissing about with a bender and spending forever making it. I've emailed them, pretty sure it's not realistically a go-er but interested to hear everyones opinions?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/63mm-2-1-2-Flexible-Polylock-Stainless-Steel-Flexi-Tube-1-2-Metre-Exhaust-/351683842515?hash=item51e1fd91d3:g:FcAAAOSwu1VW8Yeu

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Exhaust ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 11:24:48 am »
Have used that pipe work on test cell exhaust connections for years, eventually it fails and leaks - there's far less vibrations/pressure in a static cell than on vehicle.

In short, it won't work.

If you're really cost conscious, build your own. Once you've done it, you'll appreciate the work that's involved, and those pieces of bent pipe will seem excellent value  ;)

I've got a spare manifold from someone pulling out the group buy if it is of interest.

Cheers

Pete

Offline randombadger69

• Members
Re: Exhaust ideas
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 08:28:42 am »
Some of the welds involved in a decent manifold are awkward enough to demand the money imo. Having welded various awkward shit over the years with TIG I do admire the effort that goes into a well thought out manifold.

I'd say save your money for one of the PPP ones or ask your friend very nicely to make it look easy for you.