Author Topic: new g40 owner (kind of)  (Read 6874 times)

Offline mat_1

Re: new g40 owner (kind of)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 06:42:45 pm »
If anybody is free next thursday and fancies helping me take this thing apart for say £100 cash for a days work let me know as struggling to find someone that is off work

Im in shropshire gonna be leaving about 6am to get to yorkshire where the car is for 8-9ish

Obviously you would need to be reasonably comfortable with pulling a car apart and able to use a spanner/hammer in anger.

Normally would do it all myself but recovering from spine surgery last year so need help with things like suspension, exhaust oily bits and im gonna concentrate on trim and interior and would need someone to helo me throw it all on the trailer. Engine and box will be done by the company . Let me know if that appeals to anyone if not no worries i will get it sorted.

Just thought id put it out there if someone is off and wants to earn some beer money, can either meet me at yorkshire or can pick up anywhere on route there from shropshire.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 07:00:36 pm »
Where abouts is the wreckers? I am based in York. Have taken my fair share of polos apart.

Offline mat_1

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 07:42:29 pm »
Well that worked well, looks like its me and physicsfool vs polo

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 10:51:55 am »
That's what I like about this forum, no shit or arguments, just genuine enthusiasts helping each other out!
I would offer but I'm about 200 miles away and working

Offline mat_1

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 06:43:26 pm »
Haha no problem fella, it was kind of you to put that advice together and physicsfool sounds like the perfect guy for the job being just around the corner from where the car is and free thurs.
Going well equipped will have a 4x4 with a generator in the boot to power a selection of different sized grinders and a 100l compressor with a selection of air tools then a trailer to throw all the parts on so if it all goes to plan we should make mincemeat of it :-)

Will keep this thread updated as a build thread once i find a suitable shell. Think im gonna stick to white as i like them in white anyway but probably wont be able to find a g40 shell so the search really will be for any solid white coupe shell i guess.

If a g40 shell did come knocking though i wouldnt be fussy on the colour.

Offline mat_1

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 09:28:01 pm »
RIP G40.

Heres a few pics for anyone thats interested.

5am start from shropshire started work after the company finally decontaminated it at about half 9 and down to a fully stripped bare bones shell by 3:30.... home by 8, although admittedly it would have taken me a good few days without physicsfool who did the bulk of it including all the oily stuff and engine out and was fantastic.

Having loaded pretty much every tool i own including a compressor and generator (we werent even allowed to use these due to health and safeties!) into an overloaded CRV the polo was actaully very willing to be stripped using pretty much just a socket set.

Interior in amazing condition and everything else pretty much as expected, s/c and block look ok gearbox mount took a whack but everything can be refurbished/replaced as needed, just need to find a suitable shell now so will update when there's something worth updating.

Anyway thanks for reading i now have a complete g40 spread out over my car and trailer ready to be reassembled/reshelled  which is great. Reg was k47vnd (scrapped now cat b) incase any registers need updating

Offline mat_1

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 06:09:43 pm »
Regrettably for a number of reasons this is going to be one of those projects that never got going.

Going to bundle all of the parts together and list them on ebay as a job lot, i have literally everything needed to build a g40 from that white one if you have a shell and will be listing them on ebay probably tomorrow.

Thanks once again for everybodys help and advice that contributed.

Kind regards
Mat

Offline mat_1

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 08:31:42 pm »
eBay item number 112450139439