Author Topic: Newbie - Hello  (Read 4324 times)

Offline AshP

Newbie - Hello
« on: April 23, 2017, 08:31:06 am »
Hello all,

Recently joined to gen up about G40's and ultimately buy one. Years ago a friend at college had a minter with low miles in white and always fancied one myself. There don't appear to be any for sale on here or anywhere at present - I guess due to low numbers sold and popularity. I'd prefer a genuine car as standard as possible as I'm a bit of a stickler for originality. Anyone got plans to sell theirs in the near future or know of any?

Cheers,
Ash

Offline Ian Johnson

Re: Newbie - Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 09:56:02 am »
Welcome

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 03:01:50 pm »
welcome,

keep an eye on ebay and the for sale section. not many for sale lately is my impression aswell.. (Original ones)

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:10:30 pm »
there was one in the for sale ads by a lady called Victoria, not sure if it sold (it was a couple years back) but she was in no rush to sell so may still have it. Seem to remember it being low miles, original and white. Think it went on ebay a few times for £4k, I mmay be mixing that up with another one for sale in Edinburgh by a dealer at the time.

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 11:54:44 pm »
Hi and welcome. You can guarantee when you do finally sniff one out and purchase one; at least two will appear closer to home and arguably more suitable.

From my many hours wasted being an early Polo owner over the last 10 years; I can say these cars are an enthusiast car. Combination of marmite 90's looks, relatively crude suspension setup and lack of big engine compatibility has meant these cars have never gained the desirability of a car such as the mk1/2 golf gti. Most people can spot a golf; but would have no idea what a Polo G40 was. Thus the price has never matched the rarity of these cars. As a consequence many have been broken/scrapped or reshelled due to the lack of value to the chassis. An example recently; Jezza was advertising his highly specced original G in atlas grey (nice colour) for a price that was a total song.. I'm not sure whether he sold it in the end, but he certainly didn't have his arm bitten off for the complete car. In fact I bought the exhaust; which probably answers that one. So in many cases people just break the car for the value of the individual parts and play the long game. Which reduces the chances of G40's being for sale years on.

Had these cars had the following of other icons of the past; many shells may have been saved. However the amount of guys I talk to who tell me of all the classic fords they've raced/stripped and crushed over the years I guess this isn't always true. But they probably wouldn't have just broken a lotus cortina or a mk1 Mexico, which I suppose the G40 would be similar to in terms of "special" model. Their fate is driven by value unfortunately and even though they're probably a rarer car than a mk1 golf gti they don't command the same money. Finding a completely standard concours car Would be a tough job. I expect they do exist and really are worth top money for the fact they're standard and unmolested.. to the right buyer.

If you're a hands-on guy though you probably don't mind something which needs some careful nurturing and putting back to standard perhaps.. this can be quite satisfying (albeit often expensive). £3-4K might get you something decent - as and when someone has a change of circumstance/heart and decides to sell.

Every time I search for them; I struggle to find something good. Keep checking in the for sale section and on the usual eBay, gumtree, car and classic etc. Best of luck.

A point worth noting with regards to the true polo enthusiast; it doesn't really matter if the shell is an original G40, as long as it's rust free and has all the goodies lusted after to bring the dream to life and make a true giant-slayer.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 12:07:00 pm »
To clarify; a G40 shell has nothing different to any other polo model. Every G40 specific item bolts on.

It has a few bolt on bits that differ (steering damper - also on GT's- bolts on to the rack), the rear beam has an ARB (unsure if GT & other models have it), the lower arms have a rose joint in the end that mates with the chassis (rubber bush in all other models). That's about it. There's nothing to stop you using any polo shell. It's not like one was 4wd and one was 2wd and the floor pan needs chopped, etc.

There were 500ish brought to the UK by VW. There was no sales limit in Germany / France / Belgium? (although there were only 500 original mk2 G40's in EU and none here I believe).

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 03:15:28 pm »
GT also had the rear arb. Not sure whether they had the rear load compensator, larger alloy drum cylinders and associated brake pipework?

G40 specific chassis components also include the inner steering arms; which had rose joints also.

Shell wise the G40 had a bee sting roof aerial and bonded front quarterlight windows; rather than the typical rubber sealed items. Although can't remember whether GT models shared these?

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 03:40:41 pm »
I never knew about the bonded quarter lights. Seems an odd "upgrade"?

Some (I've had one and didn't realise) also had green tinted glass from factory, I think it was an option. Not sure if it was available on lesser models.

Offline Rich_Royal

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 06:14:06 pm »
Best bet is eBay, there has been maybe half a dozen or so sold in the last year on there, set up a notification and keep an eye on it.

Average milage seems to be around 120k now but what you want to look for is recent/regular charger servicing with receipts as the engine itself is pretty tough but once the charger gets worn down internally it's not reparable.

If a car comes up for sale do some research on it and see if you can find any recent for sale adverts, if it's changing hands regularly there might be a good reason as to why. Nearly all of them will have been owned by an enthusiast by now so there is normally a thread on a forum somewhere.

I would say that unless you happen to buy one that has just been completely overhauled expect to sink anywhere from £300-£1000 into it to make it half decent.

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 08:24:45 pm »
I never knew about the bonded quarter lights. Seems an odd "upgrade"?

Some (I've had one and didn't realise) also had green tinted glass from factory, I think it was an option. Not sure if it was available on lesser models.

Not sure why the quarter lights differ; maybe with the increased speed the stock setup created some kind of wind noise?  ;D

My J reg original G has tinted glass; but I feel like it's a different shade to the green glass in my L reg genesis coupé. This is quite obviously green tinted glass; whereas the original G40 isn't quite so obvious. I have seen quite a few of the late spec genesis coupé models like mine with the same green tint glass, tartan cloth interior with split rear bench, rev counter clocks but no glovebox with lid. Weird spec. Clutching at straws for improvements until the new model was released I guess.

I would say that unless you happen to buy one that has just been completely overhauled expect to sink anywhere from £300-£1000 into it to make it half decent.

You mean £3000-10000?

;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:36:11 pm by randombadger69 »