Author Topic: Timing  (Read 3052 times)

Offline matthg40

• Members
Timing
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:01:02 pm »
I've changed the distributor on my g40 so I marked where the old one sat etc.ive set both timing marks up started the car up and it's misfiring like a trooper.i never had this problem last time I changed the distrubitor unit any ideas what could of gone wrong anyone?

Offline Martyng40

Re: Timing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:17:25 pm »
I had a similar problem the other week when trying to get mines running... turns out I'd put the dizzy on 180' out.... easy fix and solved my issue

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 10:32:31 pm »
That was the first thing I tried the firing order is 1.3.4.2 but thanks for the heads up it's much appreciated

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 12:35:20 pm »
Checked it's TDC correctly when timing it?

I get a long clean screwdriver, take no1 plug out and turn by hand until I get to the top of the stroke. I never trust the timing marks on the pulley as I can never remember if you time it to 0 or 1 and if it's when the engine is running or not, etc.

If it's running then you're somewhere close at least! Maybe a tooth or two out?

Tried twisting your dizxy back/ forth to alter the timing? Or even better, if you have a timing gun, use that! ;) I got mine form Halfords about 15 years ago for about £15. You'll only use it once every few years but well worth having to quickly diagnose things.

EDIT *I think you need to be in service mode to check the timing with a gun actually, so may be hard to do if you can't get it up to temp*

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 04:59:33 pm »
Still having trouble getting it to run perfect I've set the timing with the screwdriver down cylinder number 1 trick.i know don't know what position to start the distrubitor unit before adjusting with the timing light to get it lined up with the z mark on the crank pulley.any one with any advice

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 08:53:24 am »

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 08:54:06 am »
Take a look at that link, look at each pic and read it through, maybe you missed Something?

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 11:47:47 am »
I'm still having trouble here the car ticks over perfect but as soon as I take it out for a drive it has zero go at all.it has no pull no boost and sounds like it's misfiring still.ive gone off the timing marks and even put a screwdriver down cylinder number 1.its lined up to the o then moved to the z with a timing light and still it refuses to drive properly.how can changing a distrubitor cause me so much trouble.please someone help me with this dilemma

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 12:13:14 pm »
I have the leads 1 3. 4. 2. 1 facing the radiator and 4 facing the bulkhead and 2 at the top As I keep reading different things
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:23:14 pm by matthg40 »