Author Topic: Still have a starting issue  (Read 6163 times)

Offline matthg40

• Members
Still have a starting issue
« on: December 19, 2016, 02:29:35 am »
Hi all can someone please give me some advice my g40 suddenly stopped working completely.so I put a new battary on no difference,replaced starter motor and she started all be it a little bit rough.so I checked my earths and put a brand new thick earth cable on the chassis to the battary and she fired up perfectly and started running absolutely great and thought it sorted the problem.came and out next day and the car would not turn over at all.checked fuses,leads,fuel pump is priming and all seems to be ok I just don't know where to look next.has anyone experienced the same problem at all?

Offline GR40

• Members
Re: Still have a starting issue
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 08:55:14 am »
Check the battery with a multi-meter. If it's empty then either the alternator is not charging or something is staying on when you turn the car off and its draining the battery.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 02:35:12 am »
Thank you mate I have just brought myself a multimeter I will let you know what voltage I'm getting thanks for the heads up

Offline kwijibo_coupe

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 05:15:01 am »
Was the replacement starter motor a new item? When you had the starter off did you check the gearbox backing plate for corrosion that may stop the starter getting a decent negative connection?

When I was chasing lazy / none start issues on mine I found putting an earth between one of the starter bolts directly to the battery negative made a huge difference.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 01:14:36 pm »
Didn't check gearbox backing plate for corrosion actually.when you say run an earth from starter bolts to negative on the battary,do you mean on the body of the starter?by the way it was a second hand starter motor

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 11:07:02 pm »
Is it's clicking? Or nothing at all? Check your voltage at the starter using the starter as the earth then use different earth positions if you have a bad reading. Could be a bad positive line?  Try doing voltage drop test from battery positive to starter, try it while trying to start it too. You need to check your getting voltage to the solinoid too (obviously only when trying to start it).

Offline kwijibo_coupe

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 11:59:28 pm »
Didn't check gearbox backing plate for corrosion actually.when you say run an earth from starter bolts to negative on the battary,do you mean on the body of the starter?by the way it was a second hand starter motor

I mean one of the 3 bolts holding the starter to the gearbox.

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 08:15:53 am »
I had a problem on one of my G40s where it would randomly cut out and then refuse to start. I think it was the earth to the coil pack which is made via the bolts that fix it to the chassis. Worth checking to see if these are corroded.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 03:54:56 pm »
Been out to the car today and it decided to start,how ever it ran like an absolute turd.coughing and spluttering and wouldn't rev past 4000.and eventually it started cutting out on me and then decided it didn't want to start again.so I followed peoples advice ran a new earth from the inlet manifold earth point to the negative on the battary.and the same from the starter motor to the battary but the starter motor earth I ran burnt its self out and completed melted.so I also changed the supercharged earth and still no difference.so I'm stil stood here scratching my head any one have any more ideas for me at all please

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 10:28:52 pm »
Have you got a spare coil to try?

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 12:02:13 am »
No I don't sadly I forgot to say my battary symbol is constantly lit on the dashboard which makes me think it may be the alternator

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 08:38:53 am »
Yes the battery light on constantly, is an indication that the charger is not doing it's job.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 10:39:50 am »
I did change the starter motor and my next plan was to change the alternator I will admit I'm not great with electrics.i know my g40 like the back of my hand but I'm really scratching my head with this one but I'm really starting to think the alternator is the main problem here

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 01:03:35 pm »
If the battery is fully charged it will still run ok even if the alternator is faulty. Also if the revs are low the battery light will come on because its not getting enough charge because the alternator isnt spinning fast enough. I've had it loads of times where the battery light has come on because of low revs, give the throttle a blip and it goes off, I'm not the only one either.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 01:45:56 pm »
I've had a new battary but it's running awful and revving really low so that makes sense that the alternator isn't spinning fast enough.but as soon as I put my foot on the accelerator the car cuts out,this whole situation is absolutely baffling me I just don't know what else to try now.