Author Topic: How to find a boost leak  (Read 3271 times)

Offline dannyb.G40

• Members
How to find a boost leak
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:18:19 pm »
im still only getting bout 11 psi boost on a freshly built charger so i was going to see if i have any boost leaks tommorow, i was just wondering the best way to go about it.

over on cp it says to disconnect the BRV from the throttle and close it to allow the pipes to pressurize. My issue with this when i've tried it before is; my exhaust is pretty loud and so is the noise of the charger sucking in air. Also by doing this is the engine not going to be running incredibly lean?

If anyone could tell me how they do it that would be ace!

Thanks, Danny

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: How to find a boost leak
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 01:56:38 am »
well you kind of answer your own question!

yeah do as instructed, i cant see it running lean and causing any problems, you only do it for a couple of seconds

just grip the boost pipe that runs parrallel with the car and squeeze it, then close to pressurise, and you shud feel it pressurize straight away pushing your fingers out

if there is no pressure, or very little, you shud be able to tell, you might not be able to see or hear the leak, but at least you will know you have one

or get one person to keep pressurising, and releasing while you run your fingers around the boost pipes/intercooler, to feel the air release...

common spots it happens are corners of the intercooler, and the idle valve

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 08:53:04 am »
11 psi with the standard 75mm pulley is as much as you would expect. If you have 65mm then it is low unless you still have a standard airbox as this will limit maximum boost. Full blend/R1 etc. makes no noticeable difference over a stock charger in good condition when used with the standard pulley and airbox.

Check the charger to intercooler pipe for leaks as this often splits.

Offline dannyb.G40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 09:54:21 pm »
cheers guys only just got back to this! Im gunna have a look tommorow as well as other things...roll on summer where you don't risk hypothermia when working on the car eh!

When accelerating from low revs in 5th gear i get near 12-13 as then it drops as the revs increase which suggests its more than likely the belts slipping but ill have a look anyways.