Author Topic: My g40  (Read 23472 times)

Offline Martyng40

Re: My g40
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 10:20:55 pm »
So update time......

Got the bits from atp as mentioned....

I got them fitted with a hand from a mate who I helped with a timing issue on his mk3 golf got...

And was tight probably not doing it on axle stands in a small garage would of helped....

Everything in and all correct.... and nothing... she's just turning over and that's it.... any help please!!!!

Getting fuel to engine as pulled pipe off and got the pressure I wasn't before.... got a spark too...

Offline Martyng40

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 06:10:13 pm »
Anyone still not running  >:( >:( >:(

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 11:06:34 pm »
Do you hear the rear fuel pump prime and run? It's not quiet so should hear it when you turn the key.
I had a very temperamental ecu relay which stopped the engine firing properly.

Otherwise I would take the distributor cap off and make sure it's facing 1 at TDC. Also had a Dizzy that was put back together 180 degrees out

Offline Martyng40

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 02:57:50 pm »
It's not firing at all but can hear the pump in the back...

Where's the ecu relay?? Not really carwise...

haven't had the dizzy off but might be worth a look..

Any other pointers welcomed..

Cheers for you reply

Offline Martyng40

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 08:29:26 pm »
So spent the last few hours in the garage with olop.. as she's been named...

Took the plugs out and gave them a good clean and refitted then took the leads off and refitted.... in the correct order.. turned the key and bang.... PANIC...  called my mate said excess fuel try again... nothing...

Oh no I've blown it... took the dizzy off and he said try it 180 round... redone and started but only on the throttle soon as I let off she cut out.... so he suggested moving the throttle idle up and been running ok so think it just needed to warm up....

Apart from oil and coolant change what else should I change before trying the dreaded MOT???

Also would it be wrong to take it out at about 4am for a rip along the bypass and back to the garage...
 Surely the police would understand it's a G40 and I can't wait to go a run!!!!!!

Offline Martyng40

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 11:04:32 pm »
Resisted a drive the other night but only just....

Done an oil and filter change tonight and replaced the coolant after a flush... all seems fine but got quite warm (run time 20mins). Gauge showed just above the 70... normal???

Really pushing to get it mot ready as wanna rub my brother the mechanics face in it...

So anybody anything else I should be looking to do or check.....

Also does any of you guys who have multiple cars/shells sitting have a complete set of seat belts as mines has two sparco harnesses.. and if so how much would you look for them??? Not desperate as I'm happy with just two seats but wife thinks the kids should get in too!!!  Although she did say it was too noisy when it was running all night.....

Offline Martyng40

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 04:56:28 pm »
When under the front last night doing oil and that noticed there's a bar/rod comes from with wheel round front by radiator area and has like green square blocks/bushes.... standard or upgrade??

Just think it looks bit like one of the sub frames someone was selling or is there a standard bit there normally....

Sorry for lotech speak but no mechanic...

Offline Martyng40

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 05:49:46 pm »
So mot booked for Saturday with my mate at the local BMW garage....

Thing is brother works there too and said to my mate that the brake compensator was leaking when he had it and that's a fail.... problem is I don't know what or where that is too check... anybody........

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 08:23:29 pm »
So mot booked for Saturday with my mate at the local BMW garage....

Thing is brother works there too and said to my mate that the brake compensator was leaking when he had it and that's a fail.... problem is I don't know what or where that is too check... anybody........
Brake compensator valve is adjacent to the nearside rear beam to body mount.

Offline Martyng40

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 09:34:15 pm »
Cheers for that will get a look tomorrow as bit late to go for a roll in the drive...

Can I question what it does??? And if it's leaking is it a readily available thing?? Easy fit??

Actually nervous about getting it an mot but really want it on the road to rub my brothers face in it.... 

That and might give him a run for his money in his daily Meriva VXR.....

Offline Martyng40

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2017, 10:28:46 pm »
So got my g insured this morning a mere £180 and few cans of fuel to get to the mot today and well it failed. Impressively only on brakes tho not bad after sitting for ten years....

Osr brake not working at all. Easy fix.
Brake lines rotten essayist fix
Brake bias way out, fixed by working brakes lol
Brake compensator valve leaking.

On the way to the garage I was listening to every cough and splutter she did preying it made it... my little g did.... as I was leaving mate had to bring a brand new gtr into the shop.... ooft awesome so spurred on by that and my slightly disappointed fail I gave her skippy out the BMW dealership into second and lit the tires over the bridge (was damp) on remembering I was opposite the police station I behaved... calmly driving it home without issue....

Now gotta find the parts and cash I need for a retest

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 11:29:29 pm »
Cheers for that will get a look tomorrow as bit late to go for a roll in the drive...

Can I question what it does??? And if it's leaking is it a readily available thing?? Easy fit??

Actually nervous about getting it an mot but really want it on the road to rub my brothers face in it.... 

That and might give him a run for his money in his daily Meriva VXR.....
it varies the brake juice pressure to the rear cylinders according to the load on the rear suspension - the lower the back end, the more pressure is allowed through. Pretty easy to fit, no idea about availability.

Offline Martyng40

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2017, 09:17:03 pm »
Right update.... brakes fixed and the car will be going for its mot this week.. which this time it will pass as the tester is fixing it so he's making sure she's ready... obviously then she's going to be on the road (yessss) what I wanna ask is what fuel do you guys all run?????

I've got a Tesco Morrison's bp shell within maybe mile of the house.. just wanna know what's the most common runner

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 03:15:25 pm »
run 98, thats all i would say..

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 04:33:13 pm »
I ran mine on supermarket boggo when I was studying. I only really noticed the difference when I started on the V-power, now i dont run anything else.

I wont touch the supermarket stuff. But down to what you can afford, needs a minimum of 96 and as Jacque says 98 is better