Author Topic: G40 engine with some hiccups!  (Read 2466 times)

Offline GeirJB

• Members
  • Its not a trick, its a polo!
G40 engine with some hiccups!
« on: March 28, 2016, 11:29:45 am »
Ì have some issues with engine! It usually runs great but sometimes it just cuts out and dies!
Its often happening when having a good time on B-roads or at trackdays!
When going a litte bit easier on the gaspedal after gear-shift it can be ok!
Sometimes it also helps to let go of the gaspedal and then it will be back!
Other time it dies and doesnt start at all for a while, it can fire for a few seconds but when touching the gaspedal it dies! Suddenly it fires and runs as nothing have happened!
Anyone have any ideas what i Should check/replace?

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Re: G40 engine with some hiccups!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 03:22:34 pm »
Sounds like gas pedal = engine movement = disconnecting / short circuit on something?

Checked all your wiring with a continuity check while wiggling the wires to see if there's a break?

Any other odd symptoms? LED's on your clocks lighting dimly or anything like that? (bad earth)

Offline nikolakiss0104

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 09:25:09 pm »
few months ago i had the same symptoms exactly. For me the problem was the hall sensor inside the dizzy. I replace that and then all good.

Offline GeirJB

• Members
  • Its not a trick, its a polo!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 05:12:27 pm »
I have checked the connections in the wiring! But haven't measured for breaks!
Do you get the hall sensor only or do I have to change a complete dizzy?

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 06:20:08 pm »
You can change just the hall sender. Other ones from other VW's will work although I can't say which ones. I remember making one from a mk2 Golf GTI (most likely an 8v Digifant as I had a few at the time - although KR 16v is also in my mind despite never having one) for my G40. Open it up and take a look, may find the crown has chopped a wire in there (the reason i made one, think i also did it on my brothers GT too).

Offline nikolakiss0104

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 09:37:22 pm »
changing the sender only is not a big deal i think. I found it easy(20 minutes job) enough. I think the other distributors that fit are from polo 6n 1.4 the one with the letters AB in the end of the oem number. Correct me someone if i was wrong. Although if you use the one from the 6n you have to set the timming.