Author Topic: Mk2 Breadvan GL 1.3L 5 speed - 31,000 miles  (Read 4864 times)

Offline MatW

• Members
Mk2 Breadvan GL 1.3L 5 speed - 31,000 miles
« on: November 19, 2015, 12:17:06 pm »

Model: Mk2 Breadvan GL 1.3L 5 speed
Year: 1986
Mileage: 31,000
MOT: August 2016
Price: £900
Colour: Jade Green
Contact details: Matt on 07805 226147. I can’t always pick up so you can also email me on matthew.r.wheadon@gmail.com

My breadvan has been a great little car to own and has never let me down. I bought the car from its first owner who was an old lady who lived in London. She had only been driving it to the shops and back and in the 28 years she had the car it only covered 24,000 miles (850 a year!). The car was kept in a garage until last year when I picked it up and it’s showing no signs of rust or rot. The bodywork isn’t prefect and has a few dinks and dents (all of which are shown in the pictures). The rear panel has been bumped and the paint taken off in two small places. This can be seen in the pictures. The nearside front arch has been replaced and doesn’t quite match although it’s definitely not obvious. The underside and sills make the car look as if it just came off the assembly line. The car is structurally perfect.

The car has been kept as original as possible but I’ve added and changed a few small bits. These include:
• Upgraded brakes. 239x20 vented and grooved disks, VW2 calipers, braided lines, Greenstuff pads and I replaced the fluid.
• I installed a front lower strut brace. This improved responsiveness of the steering without changing the stock suspension. This can be removed very easily with two bolts.
• I managed to pick up some of the early mirrors that are incredibly rare now. They don’t include the awful adjustment system and look much better than the mickey mouse ear ones which come on later models. You can have a set of the originals if you’d like to change them back.
• I installed a high-end headunit that has Bluetooth, AUX, CD and a tuner as well as new Alpine speakers that replace the original ones. No holes were cut in the interior to fit more speakers.
• I installed a new headlight loom that increased the brightness noticeably. The original lights were about as effective as candles.
• I’ve upgraded the horn to a very beefy loud one.
• Fitted black floor mats front and back.
• Metal pressed license plates from an authorized dealer.
• CNC aluminium gear knob. Feels and looks great. The original one is in the glove box.

The interior is very tidy and I’ve cleaned it almost every weekend since I got it. All the electronics work as they should apart from the power levels 1 and 2 on the blowers. Power level 3 still works fine so you can still demist the windows (this can be fixed with one cheap replacement part but I have never got around to it because I never felt as if I needed the power levels 1 and 2). The paint is actually in really good condition despite the dinks because the car has been kept in a garage for pretty much it’s whole life. Tires have loads of life in them. I restored the original hub caps because they had been curbed (one picture shows the car without them on). I’ve lined the boot with some heavy duty carpet. The car has been serviced and checked regularly. I recently had the carburetor completely taken apart, cleaned and tuned. The engine runs really smooth and is also pretty clean as I like to go over it with gunk every now and then.

Good points:
• Very low mileage
• Immaculate interior
• Kept in a garage for 28 years
• Full history of MOT’s and servicing. I’ve even got the receipt from the dealership along with loads of other interesting brochures, manuals and other paperwork
• Driven sensibly
• Long MOT
• Pre 1987 model so built in Germany rather than Spain

Bad points:
• Clunky gearbox. Isn’t clunky when the car warms up and is still perfectly useable
• Dents (all shown in pictures)
• Power levels 1 and 2 of the air blowers don’t work (level 3 still works)

This car has still got a long life ahead and with some TLC could be an absolute beauty. The car turns heads and starts conversations everywhere. The condition of the car really can’t be appreciated on a screen! Viewings are welcome at weekends and most weekdays after 6pm. If you have any questions just message me and I’ll get back to you. If you’d like any more pictures of the car just let me know.

It took ages to upload all the images to ClubPolo and I don't want to do it again. If you're interested and want to see all the pictures then you can check out the listing there. http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=344297&hl=

Thanks for looking.

Offline MatW

• Members
Re: Mk2 Breadvan GL 1.3L 5 speed - 31,000 miles
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 12:35:16 pm »
SOLD