Author Topic: G40 - melted piston  (Read 5855 times)

Offline Sknight92

• Members
G40 - melted piston
« on: July 31, 2015, 08:27:33 pm »
Evening chaps,
I haven't been a member for long, nor an owner of a g40 for much longer. Had the car 6 months, and the charger shit itself, chucking oil and somehow a small piece of metal into my engine - result is piston no.3 melted. I've decided to go down the forge route. Where is the best place to get wossner pistons from? And what size complys to which cc, I think I'd like to convert to the 1.343 cc is it? Only charged dubs I found very helpful, only place I have found Pistons and charger rebuild? Just some advice where to go would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sam

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: G40 - melted piston
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 11:54:43 am »
There's quite a lot of sellers on eBay selling the pistons. You want 77mm for 1341cc.

Offline dekerf1996

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 09:35:34 am »
TSR performance, jabba and Phil J sell the pistons in this country

Pete off here could be the person you need to speak to regarding the charger if part of it is actually broken, as he sometimes has spare parts and also rebuilds them

Although i thing i find strange as how parts of the charger in the engine could cause a melted piston? Damage, yes but to melt the piston? Might point to a fault before the charger let go?

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 09:10:32 am »
Look in the classifieds, there tends to be at least one person breaking a performance engine at a time, been quite a few the last 6 months.

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 11:54:39 am »
mmm isn't there a little gauze somewhere after the charger but before throttle body to stop these issues?
Hopefully you should find enough help on this forum to get you fixed back up :)

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 03:15:44 pm »
There is a gauze trap after the charger, in the inlet of the intercooler as standard.

I've used both TSR and PEC for the pistons. PEC are very helpful from personal experience.

Pete or http://www.roettele-racing.de/page/niki-schelle.php for the charger rebuild.

Roettele racing could also provide pistons. They use wiseco in a lot of their builds.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:17:29 pm by randombadger69 »

Offline Sknight92

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 12:07:45 am »
Thanks for all the replies chaps, certainly appreciate it! Well, I'm unsure whether it was metal from my charger. But after it chucking the oil through my engine I checked the dipstick (after I'd stopped, and found a small piece of metal on my dipstick) assumed it was from my charger however my spark plug was melted to bits. Whether all the oil went down that particular cylinder - obviously you can compress oil so that may have done it.
Will check out the websites now,
Regards
Sam