Author Topic: Unknown running issue. Please help!!  (Read 2875 times)

Offline AlfIE40

• Members
Unknown running issue. Please help!!
« on: May 29, 2015, 09:29:27 am »
Hi there, my poor polo isn't running very well and I cant seem to find anything out of the ordinary. any help or advice on what to check/ change or have a wee look at would be great, thanks!

The car starts fine but once started the revs starting hunting a bit and if left the car will stall after 20 seconds or so. this doesn't really notice when driving though. I don't know if its a related problem but once driving, ill go to accelerate or will already be accelerating and the car kind of dies. I wouldn't say it just completely dies or cuts out but the revs slowly drop of and it kind of carry's itself along ish. This only happens for a couple of seconds normally then its back to normal. it happens quite often now id say. I think its gradually happening more. the only thing I have changed recently was fitting a 51mm Tb, but this was happening before hand. I have had a little play with a few bits but like I said im no mechanic. ive asked a few mechanically minded friends of mine but they havnt got a scooby either.

Ive tried to give as much info as I can its not easy trying to explain but I hope it gives you an idea. ive literally just tax and mot'd her and im supposed to be going to a little local show at stoner park this weekend so anything you can think of please that could help please help me out.
Thanks in advance

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Unknown running issue. Please help!!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 10:39:55 am »
check that the battery is good and the alternator is putting out the correct voltage.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 08:53:17 am »
Rev hunting is usually related to leaks around the throttle body area so I would check that first. Check all the vacuum lines too, I remember having similar problems with a vacuum line being sliced. Also check and clean the CO pot ( I just soak it in alcohol ), power loses are related to this more than once. Check if it's blocked too, I once had the metallic ring at the end of the plastic pipe slip in and block the sensor and the car would randomly lose power.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 10:30:47 am »
Clean the ISV.

Offline AlfIE40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 08:56:52 pm »
Great cheers fella's! Good few bits I can have a look at there. Thanks.

Offline beatboxG40

• Members
  • lader baby
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 08:33:56 am »
I get this issue from time to time. Guess its a cleaning day today!

Great information there guys, cheers.