Author Topic: GAZ coilover specification for track car?  (Read 4174 times)

Offline vwnut

• Members
GAZ coilover specification for track car?
« on: March 27, 2015, 11:55:56 pm »
OK - I now have a pair of front struts to send to GAZ for supply of full suspension set up for our 190BHP Track G40 (Thanks again Alex).

I have read through the posts regarding suggested spring rates and spring heights for GAZ coil overs and all seem low compared with the suggested values from the man (Mark) from GAZ earlier this week. For a track oriented car (I don't care how it drives on the very occasional road journey), GAZ is suggesting:

Fronts: 600 lb
Rear: 550 lb

with neutral handling.

My car has standard front anti roll bar set up at the moment. Will consider PPP stage 3 subframe in the future.

These spring rates seem a LOT higher than the 300/350 lb (7") front, 180 lb (10/12") rear that seem to be talked about for track oriented cars with ARB's.

Suggestions please on what I should specify to GAZ for all 4 corners (spring rates, spring heights, anything else?). Track performance is the only consideration with neutral handling.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: GAZ coilover specification for track car?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:40:18 am »
Did Gaz ask you for cornerweight info on the car before arriving at those figures?

I ran 325F/200R and the car was borderline undriveable under power on anything but a glass smooth road - Gaz had valved the dampers for exactly those spring rates too. That setup would've been fine for occasional track use.

If purely a track/race car, I'm sure going harder might get you some benefits - just be prepared for a very mobile rear-end. Go on Club GTI and look at what the Mk1 Golf boys use, but I'd suggest that 600F/550R would be on the hard side for a full race G40 - let alone a track/occasional road car.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 01:05:11 pm »
So you know, that's over twice the poundage of G40 Cup Car Springs!

Offline vwnut

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 05:49:27 pm »
Thanks guys.

No, GAZ didn't ask for any corner weight info.

The G40 is fully stripped out, with a safety Devices roll cage - if that makes much difference.

I had a look on Club GTI and some are running Mk1 and Mk2 Golfs with 500lb or more on the front and rear.

All very confusing, so if anyone can recommend a good starting point for the G40 that would be great. Springs can be changed relatively easily, so no biggy if they need to be changed in the future. Would it be too much to start with the G40 Cup car rates (any one know what they were?).

Thanks

Offline runforrestrun

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 06:04:55 pm »
I will be following this thread with interest as I have GAZ coilovers to spec up on the mk1 when it's ready.

Offline vwnut

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 08:25:36 pm »
Any one else got Gaz coilovers fitted to their track oriented G40? If so what spring rates did you specify, or suggest based on your experiences.

All comments welcomes please, so I can tell GAZ.

Thanks

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 05:29:03 am »
I had 275lb springs on the front of mine, originally. They were plenty for track use, but I think slightly too hard for the road. I've gone down to 225lb, and I've gone from a 7in spring to an 8in spring. It's a much nicer drive.

This said, I haven't taken the car on track yet.

That's for a car with a full interior, too.