Author Topic: Drying out the car  (Read 3988 times)

Offline physicsfool

• Members
Drying out the car
« on: November 26, 2014, 10:35:00 am »
Car has got a bit damp due to a few holes, anyone got any sneaky ways of drying out the inside of a car?

Offline GR40

• Members
Re: Drying out the car
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 11:06:27 am »
You could try a heat gun or hang a couple of bright bulbs inside the car and crack the windows lightly! You wont believe the heat a couple of lamps emit in a small place! Or if you can find a small electric heater that you can run without the fear of anything catching fire inside the car. Either way you try if its rain water it will most likely sting like mold afterwards! I know cause I washed the entire interior of my car when I bought it with carpet cleaners and fabric cleaners and still gave out that odor till they where completely dry!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 04:49:10 pm »
it depends how damp you mean.  If the carpets are soaked then it's best to remove them and the insulation stuff under them too.  If that's all got soaked then it'll take weeks to dry out even with a heater in. 

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 06:45:22 pm »
My golf recently had this problem when one of the rubber bungs gave out.

Like said, removed carpet, underfloor, insulation (naff sand blocks) and even footwell sound deadening all soaked through.

I had them on a boiler drying out and used a heat gun and a outside floor standing spotlight but even now with it all back in the carpet is still slightly damp to feel.

Real pain, best bet is to remove all and just drive it with just the seat in until you've dried it properly otherwise it'll never seem to dry up.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 10:41:16 pm »
All sounds good, I will get on that soon as and try and source the leaks.

Ta

Offline dekerf1996

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 09:28:05 am »
I had this recently, used a wet vac to suck the water out of the carpets (pulled well over a litre out of there) then chucked a dehumidifier in there for a few days to suck the rest out.

Offline Matty!

• Members
  • G40 Clubsport Build / BMW M2
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 09:27:31 am »
My mate uses these in his Monaro

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00AZKNP8E/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1417339558&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Obviously get the thick out then leave them in to collect the rest.

Offline stu g4T

• Members
    • Edition38
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 10:13:39 am »
I always recommend a bowl of salt left in the car with windows shut.

It sounds like it won't do anything but it will absorb moisture from the air creating a dry environment.
Once the carpets have been dried out the salt will help get rid of every last bit.

I leave a bowl in our camper van over winter, humidity meter is always showing low in there and stops mould forming.

a bowl of dry rice may do just as well, could even sprinkle on the carpets leave for a day then hoover up.