Author Topic: when accelerating, total loss of power...then cuts out  (Read 5958 times)

Offline Jake

• Members
when accelerating, total loss of power...then cuts out
« on: December 30, 2008, 06:25:45 pm »
Hi all, took the car for a spin the other day and was giving it a bit on a dual carraigeway round my area. Anyway, I was in 2nd, accelerated as normal.... but when I changed into 3rd there was no power at all. The boost gauge was going up as normal but there was no power at all. Then the car stalled so had to restart it quick!
It did this twice but haven't driven it hard since as I dont wanna risk frying my engine! I was thinking it could be a fueling issue? In the past its hesitated a couple of times when first changing into 3rd but if you let off then put your foot down again it would always pull again as normal. And its only under heavy acceleration...

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
Jake

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
Re: when accelerating, total loss of power...then cuts out
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 07:46:22 pm »
mine did the same last year, either your fuel pumps on its way out or maybe the fuel pump relay is stuck. not sayin that its defo that but thats what mine was.

Offline Jake

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 06:30:29 pm »
changed the fuel pump less than a year ago but didnt change the filter which was lookin pretty scabby so could be more shit blockin it all up. has a new fuel filter now though. and the fuel tank has been changed for a new one too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 05:22:10 pm by Jake »

Offline Jake

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 05:15:40 pm »
I drove the car again today and it seemed to be worse. I put my foot down once and it only hit about 2.5k in 2nd and then suddenly lost all power so I stopped. I'm gonna lube the charger since its been 1000miles since I last did it. I'm also gonna run some redex through with the fuel to try clear any shit that may be in the fuel pump.
Another suggestion was HT leads but they were changed within the last couple of months too.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Offline Jake

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 05:19:39 pm »
Plugs are bosch W5DPO's and have done around 10,000miles. How often do most of you tend to change yours?

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 05:53:49 pm »
Could also be the hall sender...

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 01:36:56 pm »
Check your fuel system very carefully! Replace both fuel pumps, fuel filter, fuel lines, injectors, the whole lot if need be! 5 years ago, I had exactly the same symptoms you described before some almighty piston meltage! My problem was very intermittent - it was sometimes fine for a few days, then exactly as you describe, so when my fuelling was checked on a rolling road, they said it was spot on and suggested the hall sender. About an after that was replaced, I melted a piston...

Offline Jake

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:55:09 pm »
Fuel filter is less than 6months old, injectors are G60s that are only just over a year old. The fuel pumps are just over a year old too. As mentioned above, I had an old tank and fuel filter on when I put the new pumps in, and have noticed the inline pump whining a little bit since. Although I haven't noticed it whining for a good couple of months now. So that may be worth changing first.... Bit gutted, as they're crazy money from VW!

Offline Jake

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 01:41:10 pm »
I'm sure I read before that bad earthing can make the car run like shit. the thread on the earth connection to the charger was a bit dodgy and I've just been looking around and noticed that its come off. Don't suppose this could be related to my problem in any way? Doubt it, I'm just praying as that would be a nice easy fix!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 01:53:19 pm »
could be, some people without that earth can't even get their started

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 02:18:25 pm »
Yeah I'd be careful with running dodgy earths.

My braided charger one was all frayed and sketchy but I didn't really worry myself too much about it. Next thing I know I'm in full scale panic putting out a loom fire! Having put it out I realised that earth had disconnected totally since I'd last checked it.

Might not have been directly responsible (the loom itself was a bit tatty to be fair) and I didn't have the symptoms you describe but still thought it was worth the warning just in case.

Offline Jake

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 02:44:36 pm »
I'll get that sorted before its back on the road then! Hopefully this will be the problem...

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 04:01:30 pm »
Wouldnt be suprised tbh. I know I've forgotten to attach that earth after having the charger off and the car has run terribly. Hope thats it!

Offline Jake

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 04:11:18 pm »
The natural bend on the earth wire was forcing it to lean against the charger so perhaps thats why it was running decent, then maybe just being moved off it under acceleration or something. I dunno....
Anyway new charger belt should be here tomorrow so I'll get that on, along with that earth and take it for a spin see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

Offline Jake

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 04:22:40 pm »
Well Im happy to say, put a new charger belt on and connected that earth back on this morning, and took it for a spin. Did about 12miles and seems to be running sweet as a nut again now!   ;D
After not driving the car for nearly 2 weeks, I've just been reminded how much I love my G40.
Cant wait to give it a good wash tomorrow