Author Topic: Roll Cages...  (Read 4259 times)

Offline Matty!

• Members
  • G40 Clubsport Build / BMW M2
Roll Cages...
« on: October 26, 2014, 09:44:21 pm »
Just planning ahead for when the car comes off the road soon for winter.

I am intending to fit a roll cage in, and would like a few answers answered just so I know really.

Mines the sunroof model, has anyone else got a cage with the sunroof? Im not too bothered about making it redundant if it has to be.

I dont want it to go through the dash really, would this stop me operating my windy windows?

I'd like a bolt in, so I will still probably need base plates welding into the floor?

Are Safety Devices still the go-to people or is there any other brands like Weichers, or any custom company's people recommend?

Thanks

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Roll Cages...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 07:44:45 am »
Safety Devices cages are a fairly good fit, for what is a universal bolt-in cage, they were used for G40 Cup Cars, so provided you buy the correct model, they come with MSA/FIA certificates, if that’s what you want. The door bars are very low though, which makes access easy, but I question the side impact integrity in a crash compared to a full X in the door.

Regarding window winders- see my build thread for a way around it!

Bolt in still requires plates to be welded and dash board to be cut, you loose a little room around the b-pillar for bucket seats, but most still fit without problem.

Only thing to be aware of with a sunroof model is if you modify the cage (see Robin’s build thread) to clear the sunroof mechanism (i.e. you lower the cage) then head room can suffer. If you’re a short arse like Robin this is fine, if you have a large head like me, then it’s a problem!

Cheers

Pete

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 09:21:20 am »
I have a safety devices cage in mine.  I'd say it's very good.  I removed the sunroof and just plated it over.  Being 6 foot means I'd probably not fit in the car if the cage was moved lower down.  It requires plates welding in and it does go through the dash but it's really very simple to do that part.  Gets in the way of the tubes into the back of the air vents a bit but nothing to worry about.

Offline gofasterpinch

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:28:13 am »
mine also has a safety devices in it, i was pleasantly surprised how well it fits, i got their cup car spec 13 point one with the tunnel brace and harness bar.

i really liked the way it goes through the dash - the front legs pretty much drop through the speaker holes

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:39:54 am »
The only thing against the safety devices cage was the lead time. Was a lot of weeks when I enquired about it!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 09:39:34 am »
yes I think they only specially build them whereas I think years ago when I bought mine it was still a stocked item. 

Offline G40motorsport

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 12:16:00 pm »
Original Cup car cage

Offline Matty!

• Members
  • G40 Clubsport Build / BMW M2
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 07:52:42 pm »
Cheers

The car has been booked in for next month at Performance & Protection for a custom Half cage with the idea of going full cage at a later date.

I've specced a cross bar, tunnel brace and harness bar, its come in at around the same price as a safety devices cage and hes doing the welding ect so cant complain!