Author Topic: Steering arm hitting the inlet manifold  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Steering arm hitting the inlet manifold
« on: December 27, 2008, 09:26:45 pm »
Noticed today that on full lock towards the drivers side the steering arm hits the inlet manifold, anyone had this problem before?

I am wondering if something had come undone but its a bit of an arse getting to the whole steering set up as its pretty hidden by the sodding engine. Could do with some ideas where it may have come loose.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: Steering arm hitting the inlet manifold
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 09:57:07 pm »
Robin, I doubt anything has come loose. One end of the steering arm is connected via a balljoint to the strut, the other to the steering rack. If either had come undone, you'd certainly know about it!
It's actually quite common on very low mk3 Polos. It's all to do with the height of the steering arm on the strut in relation to the "fixed" rack pick up point. The steering arm effectively moves through an arc as the suspension goes up and down. However, when the suspension is lowered the arm has already moved through its normal travel arc. This means that when you turn the steering to the extreme of lock it can come into contact with the servo.
Some people have "dented" the servo to allow clearance, others leave it and chance wearing through the servo or steering arm - neither of which are adviseable! The steering arm is supposed to be bent on this side too, so no trying to straighten it out!
The proper way is to lower the steering arm pick up points on the stuts. Or you could do something not often done in the "Dub scene" - raise the suspension a touch! :o

Edit, shit the bed, I've just noticed you said it was hitting the inlet manifold not the servo!
Sorry Robin :-X

Edit no2.
Right, I've been thinking about this one again. I notice you are using G-laderseite nylon anti roll bar blocks right? Well these add a fair bit of castor by pulling the struts forward, obviously taking the steering arms with them. Combined with the lowered suspension, this would bring the steering arm nearer the inlet manifold. I reckon that's your problem there mate.
As for solving the problem, how about shimming the rear engine mount to slightly tilt the engine forward? An 8mm shim would make quite a difference at the manifold.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Richard.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 10:20:10 pm by breadman »