Author Topic: Car Jack  (Read 8307 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Car Jack
« on: August 17, 2014, 06:39:48 pm »
Any recommendations for a decent one?

Looking at low profile jacks mainly.

Anyone bought from these guys? http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydraulic-jacks/trolley-jacks/tja15-aluminium-trolley-jack

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
Re: Car Jack
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 06:50:36 pm »
Never used SGS personally but I have a friend who has one similar to that but maybe the older version and he seems to be happy with it (although he used halfords stuff before)

Most of the tools I use are Clarke - my brother has a 2 tonne ultra low entry one, had it for years and still really solid.

^don't believe you can get that exact one but their new range is good too, I remember been at Pete's house and he had a low entry ultralightweight Clarke jack, was really good.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 08:13:09 pm »
Yoof's got that SGS one and it's decent, but not quite as low entry as the lightweight Clarke ones.

I've got a couple of Clark ones - the blue/silver 1.25t lightweight one is great for the Polo, only criticism is that it doesn't lift massively high, but it's one of the lowest entry jacks around. The other Clark one I've got is the one in Jester's picture - I think the 2 tonne label on it refers to how much it weighs rather than what it can lift! Mainly had it for lifting heavier stuff than a Polo.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 09:03:06 pm »
Thats good to hear that a few have got the sgs one.

Saw some of the clarke stuff, will look into them a bit more.

The sgs one min height is 90mm which should be ok. Will measure it up, otherwise it might be looking down the clarke route.

I remember the blue/silver one you had andy, looked like a good one.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 10:06:27 am »
The Clarke lightweight one Andy is on about is what I have too.  Best jack I've ever owned by far.  I'd not really consider anything else for using in my garage at home etc...  I've had big heavy ones before and they're fine but a pain to lug around.

Machine Mart regularly do VAT free deals if you sign up to their newsletter thing so you get 20% off.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:07:43 am »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 01:54:17 pm »
only issue with the clarke is that the threads do come undone... so threadlock them!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 02:09:52 pm »
I've never had that problem with mine.  but I have seen a couple of people mention it.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 02:14:52 pm »
only issue with the clarke is that the threads do come undone... so threadlock them!

And the rubber constantly gets stuck on whatever you're jacking, retrieved mine from the roads a few times...

Jezza, I got a 2.5T SGS one and it's fairly good, had to bleed it a fair bit when I first got it, but was well priced and hasn't shat itself even lifting my mates transit.

Clarke one, £/abuse has to be the best jack out there, I've had mine 7 years now, and it's still going strong!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 10:07:59 pm »
maybe its worth paying the extra money for the clarke one then.

Might give the exeter one a call and see if they can do some sort of discount.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 11:35:43 pm »
I got one of these for the G-Hut I'm building otherwise I have a £20 cheapie trolley jack.

Fred.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 10:59:57 am »
Posh bugger!

Along the same lines, I've been looking into lifts for a while, a scissor lift as my garage can't accommodate a single or two post:

http://www.jhmbuttco.com/acatalog/info_L3000.html

Anyone got one, used one?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 10:28:31 pm »
last year in portsmouth, i popped into a garage to get some tyres done and he had one of these.

Said it was perfect, especially when tight for space. Looks very similar to that one.

Went for that SGS one in the end as i got a discount with them. Good jack so far.

Offline gofasterpinch

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 08:26:29 pm »
Posh bugger!

Along the same lines, I've been looking into lifts for a while, a scissor lift as my garage can't accommodate a single or two post:

http://www.jhmbuttco.com/acatalog/info_L3000.html

Anyone got one, used one?

At my old mans dealership they have a mix of 2 post and scissor lifts, the scissor is really good, although the older one up there needs the air compressor to be on before it'll let you lower a car down otherwise the safety locks just kick in. I don't think the newer ones need a compressor feed at all.

my only criticism would be you can't put particularly low cars on them unless you actually set them flush into your garage floor. Even my polo only clears (including the rubber blocks) by an inch or so, and its only 20mm lower than stock.

I liek the