Author Topic: rpm gauge  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Freddy77

• Members
rpm gauge
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:27:48 pm »
I have ordered a tim rpm gauge for my mk2 conversion,
as it didnt come with rpm clocks and I want to retain the shell mileage
on the clocks as is very similar to the engine,

I am a bit unsure of how to wire it up, if anyone has fitted a similar item any help
would be ideal, im assuming it will come with a basic wiring diagram but  I imagine
its a generic one for any car,

many thanks for any help
fred

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
Re: rpm gauge
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:15:24 am »
you have a made a bit of an own goal.
To retain the milage you just remove the left hand side of your original clocks- put them in the rev counter replacement clocks.
The signal for your gauge will come from the ECU- not coil. if my memory serves me right its black/red on yellow block connector

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 11:49:54 am »
Pin 10 (Red/Black stripe) of the clocks is the rpm signal input from the EMS ECU. Use this to power your rev counter.

Alternatively you can use the coil drive signal (pin 2 of the coil connector, black wire/green stripe) which is fed by EMS pin 25. I'd not use this route for two reasons:
1. You risk the rev counter attenuating the drive signal to the coil.
2. You've got to run a wire through the bulkhead from gauge to coil or EMS.

Offline Freddy77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 05:14:44 pm »
Andy my plug to my clocks is different to a mk2f it has 14 pins however pin ten is
A blank space, any other placea I can take the same feed from?
Cheers

Offline Freddy77

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 07:14:30 pm »
ive looked at a wiring guide and found which pin is the rev counter one, I connect the red wire to that and the gauge twitches, however I have no idea where to put the green wire, the black goes to earth
confused is not the word

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 11:16:41 pm »
what?

red goes to positive, black to earth, green will go to the tach signal - which andy confirmed was the black/red from the ECU, which can be found at pin24 of the ECU.
Ive had a bit of a check now on what i said earlier, the wire from the ECU should be green- when you have the connecting plug connected the wire will change to the red/black wire.

you should be able to get it working from this