Author Topic: Knocking sound from LH strut when turning the steering wheel  (Read 6665 times)

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
Since fitting new Koni springs, shocks and nylon ARB blocks years ago, there is often a knocking sound coming from the LH strut. It's intermittent, but usually happens when I release the tension from the steering wheel after having it turned right, either when stationary or at low speed. It sounds almost as if something is moving slightly when the tension is released. I've checked the suspension points on this side and the closest I have actually come to finding it is if I put my hand in the cap at the top of the strut when the tension is released, I can feel the knock. Although I can't see any movement anywhere! The spring appears to be secure and seated correctly. I've checked the castle nut and top nut on the strut is tight. There is no movement where there shouldnt be in the steering linkage. The suspension mounting points (ARB, TCA etc. are all tight and secure. I can't think of anything else to check now.

Has anyone got any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:38:45 pm by dabigginger »

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
Re: Knocking sound from LH strut when turning the steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:22:42 pm »
How about c.v to drive shaft ? It's that on mine lol and are you checking it when it's in the air by hand or on the ground ?

Ben ,

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:33:59 pm »
I thought CV joint knocking was only present when the car is moving. It does it when weight is on the left strut and if the left side is jacked up.

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 07:46:39 pm »
Oh, and its only one knock. It doesn't keep doing it. Usually it just does it once when the tension is released from the steering wheel.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:50:26 pm »
Not a top mount??

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 09:19:28 pm »
Is there anyway to check it without removing the strut? If I take the top cap off, the rubber appears to be in decent shape. I managed to replicate the fault earlier today with the car jacked up. Now I've got someone to turn the wheel whilst I look around, its stopped doing it  >:(

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 11:22:16 pm »
Does sound like a bearing in top mount, when I did mine it made so much difference got mine from pete ^^^

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 11:47:40 pm »
Would I notice any play if it were the top mount? There doesn't appear to be any movement looking at it from the bonnet. Thanks for the input so far  :)

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 11:35:36 am »
I'm fairly certain that is the spring rotating on the base cup, will only rotate under very slow heavy steering, and from my experience clunks back again as you release steering / accelerate.

A top mount would knock over up and down bumps, well that's mine did.
You could just jack car up, grab hold of strut and give it a shake to see if top mount is secure

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 12:59:27 pm »
I'd say bearing in top mount won't be loose but worn

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 04:10:47 pm »
I'm fairly certain that is the spring rotating on the base cup, will only rotate under very slow heavy steering, and from my experience clunks back again as you release steering / accelerate.

A top mount would knock over up and down bumps, well that's mine did.
You could just jack car up, grab hold of strut and give it a shake to see if top mount is secure

I have the same issue mate as mentioned at the first paragraph. How the hell you solve this problem?

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 07:17:41 pm »
mmm I never actually solved it, but fairly certain it came about when tightening the very top strut nut (one can see when bonet open) too much, then you have too much compressive force against rubber top mount which resists the turning force and cause spring too move.

But i'm not 100% on the above.

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 07:30:53 pm »
I have just checked the spring - I can try and move it about all I like and there is no play in it whatsoever. I'll replace the top mounts in the winter (my maintenance period) and see if that sorts it. I only do a few hundred miles per year, so I'm not to concerned at the moment.

The one thing I was wondering, I am due an mot in a few weeks. If it does decide to make a knock sound then, is that likely to cause it to fail, or should it be okay as long as there is no noticeable free play?

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 11:14:09 am »
mmm I never actually solved it, but fairly certain it came about when tightening the very top strut nut (one can see when bonet open) too much, then you have too much compressive force against rubber top mount which resists the turning force and cause spring too move.

But i'm not 100% on the above.

I have replaced top mounts, i have insulated the edges of the springs with rubber hoses, nothing stoped the noise.
To be honest i quit looking for a solution i fed up...
I will loose the upper nuts and have a look if it continues...

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 08:37:18 pm »
I just got an advisory on my MOT for slight play in the top mount bearings, so a new set has been ordered  :) Thanks for the help and suggestions!