Author Topic: 16v head  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
16v head
« on: June 12, 2014, 07:54:07 pm »
Hey all I am toying with the idea of putting a 16v mk4 or mk5 polo head on a py block any advise or ideas . Thanks guys Ben

Offline RyanC

• Members
Re: 16v head
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:06:36 pm »
you will need coustom pistons to sort out compression and that's only the start! Will cost you loads!!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 08:32:42 pm »
Compression is in the head on 16v and in the pistons on a py so not only will you need custom pistons, you'll need someone to r&d the specs of pistons etc, would be serious money

Your better off getting and entire 16v engine if you wanted to go down that route

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 09:15:49 pm »
Well ... Here's the thing I've got my g40 running nice at the mo and I've got my other g sitting with the engine out ( bit of freshening needed nothing major I like the power delivery of the g lader but was wondering what I could do with it  cheers guys

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 10:02:44 pm »
You have two g40's! Haha lad!
Many things can be done! Why don't you go turbo on one of them? Best of both worlds :)

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 11:39:42 am »
Lupo/Polo 16v

I've got a Lupo/Polo AHW 1.4 16v head (flat) that Rolette Racing use in Germany.  It's re-manufactured, looks like new with valves, no cams or rocker cover.  To use this I think you need to:

1. Weld up a water way
2. Sort out a cam belt idler
3. Fit cams required for supercharging/turbo charging

Might be able to use stock pistons with cut outs or perhaps N/A pistons with big enough cut outs to drop CR and take valves - if you have an eye on budget.  

Many people would deem this head inferior to the AFG (Mk4 Polo) 16v head as it has rockers instead of cam direct on tappet.  This is because the head wouldn't take the same RPM as a modified AFH head...but with a boosted engine this isn't an issue as you'll be making all your power at sensible RPM.  Prob. below 7000rpm; at which point this had is fine

Of course this head would be suitable to give to Rolette and have them carry out any modifications required. Would be persuaded to part with head for £100 posted.  I had it on eBay end of last year for a week, but no takers.  Currently on eBay there is one for £120 and another at £375 that I can see.  I'd keep it and use it in future, but pumping money into suspension now more than engine work.

AFH Head
From Mk4 Polo 1.4 16v.  No need to weld up water way on this but still requires idler, cams and either custom pistons or finding an OEM piston that'd give correct CR.