Author Topic: brakes  (Read 7860 times)

Offline JayT-G40

• Members
brakes
« on: May 20, 2014, 06:27:34 am »
Im looking to upgrade my brakes as cheaply as possible.
They have always felt really bad under hard braking, especially if your travelling over 60mph. Dont feel safe when I put my foot on the brake at higher speed so have to ease it to below 60 before I can press harder on the brake.
Ive read the threads on brakes but don't really understand.
All I want to know is what callipers I can put on my g40 and what disks that will improve it without me having to change anything else?
Thank you all in advance
Jay

Offline z3i

• Members
Re: brakes
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 07:29:30 am »
As far as I'm aware as I nearly bought some, you need some mega rare audi 80 coupe carriers and calipers
You also needs a 16v golf master cylinder
It's not cheap, a set of carriers came up on ebay for £80 and that's just the carriers

To fit the bigger brakes you also need 14" wheels for clearance too

Better option would be to check all your lines and flexi hoses (maybe go braided) bleed your brakes with some decent fluid and buy some good discs and pads

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:59:04 am »
I still run standard 239mm brakes on my track only polo which is running about 195bhp - the brakes aren't great but they are vastly improved with good pads and brake fluid, I run DS3000 track only pads and grooved discs.

Offline JayT-G40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 09:56:11 am »
Thanks for the swift responses guys.
Id heard about the audi 80 brakes but didnt realise how rare and expensive they would be.

Ok then, if I just have a look at my brakes and upgrade the bits you've mentioned would you be able to tell me whats the best braided hoses and where could I get them and the same with the pads and disks??

Thanks loads for the advice.

Jay

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 10:38:49 am »
I've got goodridge hoses, really good quality and come with a no quibble lifetime warranty (just replaced mine for free!) they are about £90

Check your steel lines, especially rear as they tend to corrode, would be worth replacing then with cupro nickel, which is quite cheap

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 10:42:17 am »
Alot of people (myself included) use motel rbf 600 brake fluid, top stuff! £30s worth will do the entire system

Check your master cylinder seals are good too

I'm not too sure on pads and discs, I've got uprated brembo ones myself, whilst they are pretty good they don't dissipate heat very well. Though even after setting then on fire they still didn't warp amazingly!

Doing all that to my brakes made such a difference and didn't really cost me much

Offline dekerf1996

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 11:14:43 am »
I have always been impressed by the ferrodo DS2500 pads (on a road car) and standard brembo discs.

This combined with decent fluid and hoses works wonders on such a light car.

I also find tyres can make a big difference to the braking performance and behaviour

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 11:21:12 am »
Also new shoes and drums can help reduce travel and get good brake feel.

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 03:54:17 pm »
You can also use vauxhall carriers and calipers. Im using mk3 or 4 astra gsi ones with golf discs (256mm)and some passat rear drums that I think are 230mm and a 22mm master cylinder. They feel and work much better than my standard setup and that's without any uprated pads.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 05:25:30 pm »

Offline C0UP3

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 01:16:33 pm »
I'm just doing my brakes now. Full rear rebuild all new parts for eurocarparts (pagid stuff). Then on the front ferodo ds2500 pads and hel performance braided brake lines in lime green :)

Plus new standard master cylinder (don't go bigger unless bigger brakes, it takes slack out of the pedal but destroys the feel of the brakes and so much extra force to actually brake)

Can't report on performance Yet as it's still in bits lol

Offline JayT-G40

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 08:58:24 pm »
Cheers for the info folks.
Ive ordered some brembo disks and rear drums and trying out a set of green stuff pads recommended to me by a mate that loves his performance motors.
As for the braded hoses, the goodrich ones are 82 quid which I will get I think but how much are the hel performance ones?
 Cheers

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 09:27:58 pm »
Goodridge mate, they are really good, well impressed with mine, and no lifetime warranty with hel. though i think yoof on here had some custom lines by hel and rates them

i wouldn't have gone with brembo, mine overheated multiple times and got the most insane brake fade, like push the pedal through the bulk head and nothing happen fade

they might be better with the green stuff pads. ive heard nothing but good things from the ds2500 pads from all users, from 100 bhp to 400bhp though

Offline JayT-G40

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 03:47:20 pm »
Just been on the hel performance website. Front only braded hoses are 39 quid with lifetime warranty.
Are these the ones you've had jezza7??

Offline C0UP3

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 05:57:02 pm »
Think I played 85 ish for full kit delivered in green.