Author Topic: Rear Disc Conversion - The Definitive List?  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Billywhizz1984

• Members
Rear Disc Conversion - The Definitive List?
« on: December 21, 2008, 11:43:34 pm »
I'm considering a rear disc conversion but having checked this and other Polo forums there seems to be some debate over where the parts can be sourced from. Some conversions are confirmed in use (MK2 Golf) while others have comments like "should fit" or "have heard about it working", which means unconfirmed.

So here's the question...

Can the complete rear disc set-up (Stub Axles, Backing Plates, Carriers, Calipers, Discs & Pads) be removed from the following VAG models and fitted straight to a G40 running standard 13" rims?

I've listed all the conversions I've read about. Please confirm which of these you know works for definite or add any I've missed - Thanks!

Golf Mk1
Jetta Mk 1 - Did they ever put rear discs on the MK1 Jetta?
Golf / Jetta Mk2 - Confirmed
Golf / Jetta Mk3 - Did they do a 4 stud rear disc set-up, or is this a 5 stud hub / 4 stud disc hybrid?
Audi - Any 4 stud from the 80's / 90's
Passat - Any 4 stud from the 80's / 90's
Ibiza MK2
Polo MK4

Whilst we are on the subject I'm aware that custom handbrake cables will be required for all options. Some people seem to have had bespoke cables made from MK2 Golf cables, but the cheapest and lowest-tech answer I've read is as follows -

"Buy MK3 Golf cables shorten the outers to suit, shorten the inners and use motorbike clutch cable solderless nipples. Cost approx £15" Anyone better this?

Offline Gary

• Members
  • just one last thing....
Re: Rear Disc Conversion - The Definitive List?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 08:19:19 am »
Mine is made up from mk2 golf gti parts with custom cables.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:11:53 pm »
Have a rear disc set-up on my Mk1. Will convert the Mk3 sometime too as with the drag slicks I can pull through the handbrake...  :-\

Worth mentioning that later Mk4 Golf calipers with these stub axles listed above- and aren't as prone to seizing as the earlier Mk2 steel ones.

They're also lighter for all you kg obsessed guys (hayesey)

Offline Billywhizz1984

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 11:58:49 pm »
Thanks for your replies.

Just to clarify Yoof, you have the Golf MK2 rear disc set-up on your Polo Mk1 and we know this also fits the Polo MK3. The Golf MK2 set-up is also confirmed as working with Golf MK4 Calipers - Have I got this right?

So far then we only have Golf MK2 as fully confirmed.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 02:38:47 pm »
Thanks for your replies.

Just to clarify Yoof, you have the Golf MK2 rear disc set-up on your Polo Mk1 and we know this also fits the Polo MK3. The Golf MK2 set-up is also confirmed as working with Golf MK4 Calipers - Have I got this right?

So far then we only have Golf MK2 as fully confirmed.

Yeah the Golf IV rear calipers WILL fit with the Golf II rear carrier brackets. If you use the Golf IV calipers just rememer to buy Golf IV pads to fit as i dont think the Golf II pads will fit.

Also im not to sure that the disc set up will fit under the standard 13" bbs's because of the distance the caliper sticks out from the disc...(although i may be wrong...)

Offline polo classic

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 10:20:50 am »
You can use Golf IV calipers if you use a custom hose (Golf IV uses a banjo bolt)

I've got Mk II Golf parts with the Golf IV calipers. Can't remember what pads. I think they are MK II, as the carrier is a Mk II part, and thats what matters

Offline G40DAS

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 11:38:14 pm »
Hi I posted about my rear brake conversion at the end of october, that's all Golf Mk11 apart from pipes and modified mk11 cables. I can confirm that I have run the standard 13"BBS wheels on this rear set-up.

Cheers,

Dave.