Author Topic: New to the G40 club..  (Read 7854 times)

Offline CypriotGeeza

• Members
New to the G40 club..
« on: December 21, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »
Hello everyone...just signed up as i am looking into buying a Polo G40 and where better to look for info then on here..

Looking for a pretty standard one as i want to put my own touch on it  :P

was wondering if insurance would kill me as a 20 year old with 2 yrs Ncb ?

thanx everyone ;D

Offline batten

• Members
Re: New to the G40 club..
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 03:24:26 pm »
welcome  8)   i found it hard enough to get insured being 21 and that was their minimum age for a g40 i think its classed as insurance group 14, mite be tricky for you. My mate made the mistake of buying a g40 first then realising insurance companies wouldnt touch him, its now in a lockup collecting dust.

Offline CypriotGeeza

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 11:38:02 pm »
thanks for the heads up..was going to ask around before i bought one..really don't want to have to go through that!

im 21 in june so i might do a bit more saving up and do it then..

Offline sohailG40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 11:46:00 pm »
hi mate nice to see you on the forum  ;D
talking about insurance you should be ok
i am 20 years old and i dident have no ncb and i got insureed no probs
it cost me 1200 pounds for the year from sky insureance
give them a go and see wot they say

Offline CypriotGeeza

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 11:54:08 pm »
hi mate nice to see you on the forum  ;D
talking about insurance you should be ok
i am 20 years old and i dident have no ncb and i got insureed no probs
it cost me 1200 pounds for the year from sky insureance
give them a go and see wot they say

thanx for the welcome mate ;D...i may just do that because im REALLY craving for this car lol and im a seriously impatient person.. :D

i currently own a Corsa Sri and am in need of some REAL power/speed and my boss keeps reconmending this car! and ive heard nothing but good things about them was just worried about the insurance.. but i will look around first and then see my situation..

Is there certain things to look for on a G40 when looking to buy one?

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 05:35:47 pm »
welcome. My insurance is only £506 FC but i'm 28!

You wanna be looking for service history when buying a G imo. When was the charger last serviced and by who? WHen was the rest of the engine last serviced? Check for oil coming from left hand corner of head gasket. If you can find one under 100k miles, even better.

Bodywork wise, just check for rust along sills, bottom or doors and bottom of wheelarches.

Offline sohailG40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 11:22:07 pm »
also mate check the chassi legs (were the gearbox mounts to the car ) we have had some people on here that have had cracked chassis legs because of to much power ( last thing you want on your g40 not nice at all )

Offline CypriotGeeza

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 08:03:06 pm »
Thanx alot for the information peeps!! :D :D

Def will and I'll prob be re-inforcing everything anyway as im looking to put some serious power down! lol but thats all in good time.. :D

REALLY want one now! lol

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 08:11:51 pm »
owdo mate.  8)

Only way to really find out what the insurance will be like is to phone for some quotes. I use Brentacre who are good for modifications and stuff.  But try all the usual companies too.  Also try Adrian Flux.

Offline CypriotGeeza

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 08:23:20 pm »
owdo mate.  8)

Only way to really find out what the insurance will be like is to phone for some quotes. I use Brentacre who are good for modifications and stuff.  But try all the usual companies too.  Also try Adrian Flux.

yea as i said a couple of replies ago either going to wait for my 21st birthday or ill have a look in the new year sometime ;D Will try them ones first

Offline CypriotGeeza

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 08:50:11 pm »
Can i ask for a "best" year G40 to look for? because apparently VW changed things on the G40 as the years passed..

is this true and if it is which year was the "best"?

sorry about all the Q'z  :D Just really want to be sure before i buy one..

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 10:09:14 pm »

My last quote was £237 fully comp all in from brentacre, but then
 i`m an old fart @ 44  lol.

Offline CypriotGeeza

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 10:12:36 pm »

My last quote was £237 fully comp all in from brentacre, but then
 i`m an old fart @ 44  lol.

lol i want to be an "old fart" JUST for the insurance haha

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 11:18:24 pm »
Can i ask for a "best" year G40 to look for? because apparently VW changed things on the G40 as the years passed..

is this true and if it is which year was the "best"?

sorry about all the Q'z  :D Just really want to be sure before i buy one..

no - apparently many of the g40s were actually made in the same year, but registered in different years

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 09:36:56 am »
Hi and welcome mate.
As stated you'll need to ring around for insurance. Everyone is different, even people of the same age mainly because of where they live. Your postcode can make all the difference.
For a potential buyer, prices are very low at the moment which is handy.
IIRC, all the UK spec G40's were made between '91 and '92 although there were many on a K, L and a very few registered on a M plate ('94).
TBH when looking at buying a G40, the most important thing to look at is the condition of the bodyshell. Many still have nice shiny paint and look all hunky dory, but when you look closely they can be quite rusty. Don't be fooled by so called German build quality, they were built in Spain and standards dropped considerable over the German mk2's.
IMO, the battery tray is one of the most important places to check. If it has rusted through, the chances are the footwell will be wet, which in turn can lead to a rusty floorpan which is covered with sound deadening bitumin. Both are awkward to repair properly (ie; cutting out the rust and not just slapping on a nasty thick plate! ???). Check the chassis legs around the bulkhead for stress cracks and or rust, again a proper repair can be very difficult. Have a look inside the rear wheel arches and check the ends of the sills for rust. Unfortunately, the plastic sill and wheel arch extensions are water traps - rust really can get a hold here.
Don't worry about a dented/rusty door, front wing, bonnet or tailgate though. These are all easy to replace bolt on jobbies from any mk3 Polo so if you find a genuinely sound car that needs one of these panels, don't worry. 
Again, specific G40 interior and exterior trim parts are not a problem to find second hand.
Mechanically, obviously you'll want proof of a recent charger service. Have a look for an oil leak near the charger on the block/head joint, headgaskets can weep here. Apart from that there really isn't much to worry about mechanically, just the usual checks that it all runs ok from cold and doesn't blow any nasty blue smoke.
Hope this helps and good luck with buying.