Author Topic: Waterpump recommendations  (Read 3935 times)

Offline rml2711

• Members
Waterpump recommendations
« on: May 05, 2014, 11:11:34 am »
Going to be removing the cambelt shortly...to install a pinned crank pulley and vernier top pulley. Obviously might as well fit a new cambelt at the same time and a waterpump replacement is on the cards as well.
Any recommendations please on a good waterpump....genuine VW use a plastic impeller which I'm not over keen on,plenty of alternatives available which seem to be equipped with metal impellers.

Which is the favoured replacement among fellow G40 owners?

Thank you,Peter

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Re: Waterpump recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 03:27:03 pm »
I would just go down to your nearest motor factors and get one with the metal blades. Someone else on here might be able to recommend a manufacturer. Agree with you on the plastic impeller blades. When I first bought my G40, I changed the pump and belt and found that every single one of the blades had sheared off. Don't know how old that pump was, but knowing that the blades can snap off made me never want another. I have no idea how it wasn't overheating on the journey home. Love how the guy told me it had a new belt and pump.

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:38:13 pm »
I got an airtex one for seat and Volkswagen works lovely

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:31:47 pm »
PeteG40 can get the febi belts and waterpump. Check his section. I will be going for that when the time comes!

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 04:15:14 pm »
I would just go down to your nearest motor factors and get one with the metal blades. Someone else on here might be able to recommend a manufacturer. Agree with you on the plastic impeller blades. When I first bought my G40, I changed the pump and belt and found that every single one of the blades had sheared off. Don't know how old that pump was, but knowing that the blades can snap off made me never want another. I have no idea how it wasn't overheating on the journey home. Love how the guy told me it had a new belt and pump.

had the same thing when i bought mine. no more blades :O

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 05:38:54 pm »
Newer stuff is better plastic.
I never had a broken
. tho even on old ones but then again I check my coolant us fresh as its freezing water that fecks blades most easily.

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 08:05:19 am »
I m open for metal suggestions aswell....

last brand new pump was on for +-15K miles, it's out now because of a leaking headgasket=> half of the fins are gone again..  can heat cause this? it was overheating sometimes when in traffic but not regularly... the housing looks ok , pump was  brand new Original vw...

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 10:06:32 am »
I found a HP+ one with metal fins,

anyone has any experience with those pumps, or HP+ in general?

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 09:59:58 am »
i fished about 20 blades from waterpumps out of my engine... (only 8 per pump lol)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 10:35:31 am »
The plastic has generally changed since they were first issued and its much less brittle.  I'd have no issues with using a plastic impellor.

Ideally you should change the timing belt every 4 years - so if you change the pump too, they wont go brittle and break within 4 years.... but i suspect many people have a 10-20 year old pump on.

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 10:56:38 am »
pump was 4 years old, (changed when bought the car, together with belt)

however, the pump that was on, had litteraly a half blade on it. so al that plastic, (and more) still was in my engine..  i suppose if a blade got back in the pump, it would have destroyed the rest of the blades?

This time, (4 years, 20K km later) the (genuine vag) pump, had about 2/3 of it blades destroyed, combined with a broken fan sensor, i was overheating (rather fast) when standing still..
(wich caused my gasket leaking i suppose ;D )

I think i m going for metal this time :) hopefully no more trouble...