Author Topic: Intermittent starter motor  (Read 2455 times)

Offline randombadger69

• Members
Intermittent starter motor
« on: May 04, 2014, 04:48:48 pm »
Hello all.

I have finally got my long term 1306cc  project sorted. Had an over fuelling issue due to a shagged lamda sensor. Also a tired hall sensor causing a misfire when cold.

Anyhow had no option but to get it out the garage and make use of it due to having no other useable cars. All is good except the starter motor has been intermittent.

Sometimes it would click but no crank maybe a couple of times, then on another attempt it would crank and fire no problem.

Ignored this until I went for a run with the bird yesterday. It scuppered me twice not cranking after I'd left it warm, then gone to start it.

Was a bit embarrassing getting her to push.

After an attempted bump start with not enough speed it then cranked on its own.

It seems to be a problem when it's warm.

Any suggestions?

I've done some googling and a few people have mentioned the wiring being an issue. Points to check are the white plug into the back of the fuse box and the ignition switch wiring.

As I've yet to understand the circuitry I can't see why it would click (as if the solenoid is engaging) but not cranking.

Any help on this I would appreciate!

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: Intermittent starter motor
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:24:13 pm »
Clean the earth points, particularly the one that goes to the gearbox.

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:34:17 pm »
Thanks. I bit the bullet and changed the starter today. Sorted the problem.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 10:32:41 am »
I had exactly this and sorted it with a new starter too. let me down in france at petrol station, had to bump it with a massive queue behind me :(