Author Topic: hydraulic throttle cable?!  (Read 3712 times)

Offline z3i

• Members
hydraulic throttle cable?!
« on: April 30, 2014, 01:33:10 pm »
Don't really understand this, not much came up on Google. But looking up pedal boxes on the net and alot of the ones with the design I'm looking for have a master cylinder and hydraulic accelerator? Is something like this possible? Never seen it before and can't find much info on it apart from a few kit cars

Is it a worth while mod? Is it as simple is making brackets for a slave cylinder at the throttle butterfly mechanism or is something I have missed? Apparently it makes for a very smooth throttle

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: hydraulic throttle cable?!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:55:54 pm »
This is an oxymoron surely?

I don't know any pedal boxes which have a hydraulic accelerator... plenty have a hydraulic clutch (which I think is what you mean?)

Polo clutch can be converted to hydraulic, leave the throttle cable, and the brakes hydraulic...

I don't know f anything which runs a hydraulic throttle, cable, rod, electronic yes, hydraulic, no  ???

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 02:23:38 pm »
Didn't realise it existed, no real need to reduce the effort levels of a cable/rod set up

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 05:44:02 pm »
Not hydraulic clutch, I'm looking at pedal boxes as I'm going to convert to hydraulic clutch. Definitely hydraulic accelerator. Apparently it's common. Conversion on dune buggy/sand rail type things? From what I've been reading I don't really get it, it's definitely a thing lol not me being stupid

I don't understand why on the motorsport pedal boxes I'm looking at it has a mastercylinder behind the throttle pedal? Another behind brake pedal and another behind clutch?

I thought I might convert my brakes to cable yoof.. :P

Unless I'm being stupid and there's two master cylinders, one for front and one for rear? They just placed the one for rear behind the throttle?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 05:47:54 pm »
You've already got a cable brake...

Anyway- the pedal boxes you're looking at with 3 master cylinders will have 2 for the brake and a single for the clutch.

I've never heard of a hydraulic throttle... can't see any reason for one either.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 09:35:41 pm »
You've already got a cable brake...

Anyway- the pedal boxes you're looking at with 3 master cylinders will have 2 for the brake and a single for the clutch.

I've never heard of a hydraulic throttle... can't see any reason for one either.

Apologize for my retardness :( they defo exist though! the only benefit would be it not seizing up in arctic conditions? just a guess, i know sometimes you can get water in the outer casing and then it freezes? just a guess

again sorry for this, it was confusing the hell out of me, put was just my stupidity, i read into pedal boxes and i now see the balance bar controls both master cylinders

i hear your coming this weekend? woop :D

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 06:27:30 pm »
i never seen a hydraulic accelerator in my life. most motor sport pedal boxes have two master cylinders for the brake pedal don't they?

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 06:32:00 pm »
i never seen a hydraulic accelerator in my life. most motor sport pedal boxes have two master cylinders for the brake pedal don't they?

Yes... Yes they do... I've always been under the impression they have one lol, now I know

Google it, definitely exists! Regarding pedal boxes depending on what master cylinder I get it should make a huge difference in pedal feel?

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 09:08:03 pm »
U don't need a hydro throttle man, hydro clutch is a good idea and easy to do but that's all u will need, plus u would have a slave cylinder by the TB and would look messy, cable dose the job fine imo