Author Topic: been taxed waaaaay too much  (Read 7032 times)

Offline z3i

• Members
been taxed waaaaay too much
« on: March 25, 2014, 05:39:03 pm »
Ok so no one is really interested in helping me, my work aren't interested as it's not thier problem and the tax office think it's correct

But I normally pay around the £300 mark for tax and insurance. My tax code is correct and always has been
Last month I was taxed £600!!!! Which is mental! Did a bit of overtime but nothing mental

At first I thought it was emergency tax, so phoned the tax office and they checked everything and all my details. They came back with, no that's normal. I couldn't understand, I argued but to no avail. It can't physically be right as some of the big earners who take home £2600 gross paid less tax than me!! And I'm on over a grand less!!!
No idea who to talk to as no one is interested, something is clearly wrong, if anyone understands this crap I would really appreciate your help as I'm skint haha
Taylor

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: been taxed waaaaay too much
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 06:07:49 pm »
Speak to HMRC.

This might help you work it out: http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 07:38:39 pm »
Best bet is to use one of the online tax calculators as Yoof says, but be sure to stick in your tax code and make sure that you're accurate about how your overtime is paid and any pension contributions, student loan repayments etc. Then you can work out what you think you should've paid.

Comparing to others doesn't always help, as their tax code; pension; student loan (if applicable) etc. could be different.

Is it the tax part or the NI contributions that've gone through the roof, or both?

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:10:15 pm »
They are on the same tax code as me 944l so in theory it should work

I checked online with my tax code and it says I should have paid £149 tax and £104 national
I paid £370 tax and £150 national so looks like they've fucked both up

No pension, students loans etc

Offline mark_crox

• Members
  • www.mk2polo.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:09:15 pm »
IF you have done some overtime in that pay it could be that its pushed you up to the next tax banding. If that's the case then you could be due for a refund if you go back to normal pay levels.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 11:14:15 pm »
I sorted it out in the end, the tax was correct, its too complicated to type lol. but either way it was a massive knock of my earnings, but its all normal now :) plus amount earnt before being taxed has gone up! wooop!
cheers peeps

Offline FeryUk

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 11:09:45 am »
Ok so no one is really interested in helping me, my work aren't interested as it's not thier problem and the tax office think it's correct

But I normally pay around the £300 mark for tax and insurance. My tax code is correct and always has been
Last month I was taxed £600!!!! Which is mental! Did a bit of overtime but nothing mental

At first I thought it was emergency tax, so phoned the tax office and they checked everything and all my details. They came back with, no that's normal. I couldn't understand, I argued but to no avail. It can't physically be right as some of the big earners who take home £2600 gross paid less tax than me!! And I'm on over a grand less!!!
No idea who to talk to as no one is interested, something is clearly wrong, if anyone understands this crap I would really appreciate your help as I'm skint haha
Taylor

These situations are very common, even in 2017. Sorry for posting on this old topic, but this came up in my Google search while searching for why I have been taxed too much. The good news is that no matter how much they over-charge tax, HMRC will give you full refund for all the sum that you overpaid, without exceptions. For any normal person on a PAYE system, the same rules apply, even if they make a mistake, they'll definitely pay you back. Just make sure you periodically check your tax and compare it to your payslip YTD (year-to-date) value or P60/45, and make sure the sums match with the calculator - if not, just give HMRC a ring and they'll sort it out.

Offline OsvaldoC

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 08:06:14 am »

Taylor

These situations are very common, even in 2017. Sorry for posting on this old topic, but this came up in my Google search while searching for why I have been taxed too much. The good news is that no matter how much they over-charge tax, HMRC will give you full refund for all the sum that you overpaid, without exceptions. For any normal person on a PAYE system, the same rules apply, even if they make a mistake, they'll definitely pay you back. Just make sure you periodically check your tax and compare it to your payslip YTD (year-to-date) value or P60/45, and make sure the sums match with the calculator - if not, just give HMRC a ring and they'll sort it out.

That's good to know. Thanks for the info. And yeah, it's not unheard of, unfortunately.