Author Topic: How to run in a rebuilt engine?  (Read 4041 times)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
How to run in a rebuilt engine?
« on: February 23, 2014, 12:24:32 am »
Was searching the forum and could only find the thread put up by jezza7 on how to run in a rebuilt engine.

Would 100miles be enough?? Would have thought a good bit more would be needed. Though it does make sense that after 540,000 revolutions, the engine would be properly run in.

Any advice from anyone on here who has run in a rebuilt G40 engine? Etches? etc.... How did you do it?

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Re: How to run in a rebuilt engine?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 03:51:20 pm »
My advice would be to run mineral running in oil for 300 miles and then change the oil. Mileage wise I would run it for 1000miles starting with light engine loads slowly increasing the load towards the 1000mile mark.

Would be also a good idea to change the oil after 1000miles.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:04:44 pm »
my total mileage for running in was just under 500 miles and then it was mapped. I could only do off boost driving as the car needed mapping. Never had any problems at all, just dont do motorway driving and very your speeds, rpm etc. I didnt use boost at all during this period.

I used millers running in oil to start with, then i think i used vw synta silver, then changed the oil straight after the remap then did another oil change at 1000 miles.

Did 100 miles with the running in oil i think. Cant remember now  ???

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:57:40 pm »
Thanks robin.

James, what sort of way were you driving it for those 500miles? Like what would be the max rpm you would hit? Yeah, I've read that I should not let the rpm remain constant and that I should vary it. Also to not allow the engine to struggle I.e. Drive at really low rpm.

Thanks

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 08:24:14 pm »
I did various hill driving due to work, didnt go past 3000rpm to start with then slightly increased the rev range for last 100 miles. I drove to andy's for mapping on all the a/b roads as well.

I dont think i went on boost at all due to it needing mapping.

I take it you have rebuilt yours and it will run as before? like not needing to be mapped?

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:49:58 pm »
Ah right. I will try that. What was the longest you'd drive it for at any one time or does it matter? 

Haven't rebuilt it yet. Just preparing. Have everything sitting bar the crankshaft which is getting balanced this week. Should have it by the weekend and ill start then.

And ill be similar to you in that ill have to stay off boost. Everythings diffferent this time lol. 1341, k04, BVH etc.

Surely you were boosting a bit since you revved up to 3000rpm?

Thanks man

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 07:28:09 pm »
James runs a charger so i am guessing he just adjusted his boost return valve so there was no boost going it the engine.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 06:32:43 pm »
Yeah im glader still so running up to 3k rpm wasnt a problem.

I drove it when ever i could to get the miles on it. Did quite a few long b road journeys, some lasting a good hour.

I didnt adjust anything on my boost return, i just left it and stayed off boost using my gauge and feeling when the accel pedal started to get a but stiffer as it was trying to close the other valve.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 11:52:07 am »
Yeah, know exactly what you mean with the pedal. Thanks for that james. Sounds straight forward enough.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 02:09:33 pm »
Just be gentle with it. So tempting to go on boost when your driving. Just get a good amount of miles before you start increasing the load.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 07:35:44 pm »
Will do. Ill be like a granny haha. Got the crank back there about an hour ago. So it begins :) cheers buddy.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 08:52:55 am »
Was your block re-bored and honed? The honing process usually takes away the need for any prolonged running in. Point of fact, as long as nothing lets go in the first couple of miles, giving it the boot is recommended by a lot of engine builders. Early oil change would be worthwhile though. So as long as your charger is run in you can enjoy your G again from day one.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 04:38:25 pm »
Yeah it was bored and honed. Running a turbo so no need to run it in. You reckon giving it the boot from day one? I've also heard that. Hate biased information haha. Its why I asked what people have done on here. If there's no harm in taking it easy, I think I'm gonna take it easy because I'd be far to worried to give it the boot lol.

Thanks