Author Topic: Standalone oil supply users  (Read 17100 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Standalone oil supply users
« on: January 05, 2014, 01:36:40 pm »
On top of the oil tank, is it open to atmosphere or blanked/closed off?

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: Standalone oil supply users
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:45:17 pm »
Mine's open to atmosphere, but just a very small diameter breather pipe. End of the pipe sits about 50mm above the oil level.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 01:47:48 pm »
Great, mine came with some silicone hose attached to the top and a bolt in it. I thought it was supposed to be open to atmosphere but wanted to check.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 09:55:07 am »
I had a motorbike oil tank for mine, it had a breathable cap on it.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 05:19:06 pm »
Sweet, will get a small pipe coming off it to allow it to breathe.

Cheers guys!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:25:46 pm »
What oil did you go for in jezza? You using the facet fuel pump?
Is thicker oil better for the charger bearings? Your just using thin oil because of the pump?
If I bought an electric oil pump would it be recommended to use normal engine oil?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 09:18:26 am »
If I bought an electric oil pump would it be recommended to use normal engine oil?

yes I would.  But electric oil pumps are expensive, that's why most people use those facet fuel pumps + very thin oil.  I used to use compressor oil in mine.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 09:35:47 am »
Cheers Paul
Yeah I did have a look a while back, and they are £400 plus, but if I'm going to be putting a g60 lader on there I want it to cope with the high revving g40 engine, reckon it will be a worth while investment :)
Thanks

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 11:44:02 am »
you should be able to find them cheaper than that.  I seem to recall when people were looking into it years ago they were about £100-£150.  PPP might be able to source something.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 12:44:11 pm »
Wow! That's cheap! Remember where that was from? £400 was like the best one I could find, worried a bit about it cutting out or breaking down as I'm driving so wanted to get the best I could

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 10:19:23 pm »
Mocal oil pumps are about £170, not too bad but i had one, it was soo loud and could be heard over the engine on idle. Plus i read that you can only use the pump once the oil is up to temp, not good for a standalone system. I could be wrong but that would explain why i had problems with it.

Im using a 7 psi pump and silkolene motor cross fork oil. Expensive but been running it for a good month now and its working well. Good flow and temps dont get too hot.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-852-silkolene-05-synthetic-racing-fork-suspension-fluid.aspx

I used some compressor oil to start with and it was terrible. Was far too thick.

I then used air tool oil, as it was thin but it was getting very bubbly in the tank so i then switched to the fork oil. I got it for about £20 and its just the right amount luckily.

I looked into spur gear pumps, rather than the (mocal) diaphragm pump but couldn't really find anything fairly cheap.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 10:23:33 pm »
Yeah this is what is says about this mocal pump:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/mocal-electric-oil-pump-tcp1

Please note, this pump is not equipped with a bypass so damage may result from pumping against a blockage, for this reason,oil must be allowed to reach operating temperature of at least 70°C before the pump can be switched on.

This one would be better but more dollar

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/mocal-electric-oil-pump-eop1-eop1

Or this one would seem a cheaper better option

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/vdo-electric-oil-pump-405040001001

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 11:50:04 am »
if it was noisey, how did you mount it?  Did you use rubber mounts like the fuel pump?

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 02:23:37 pm »
That second one on the list looks pretty good! Not too fussed about the price, but that's far less than what I was expecting to spend

You reckon some fully synthetic oil for charger bearings? Or just normal stuff? Could you not use the stuff Eaton chargers use? As in the sealed for life stuff..... That you can replace

Must make one hell of a difference to charger temps, cool clean oil being pumped round the bearings

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 02:30:55 pm »
There's a couple on ebay £85 new from America can't send the link as I'm on my phone, but they are turbo oil scavenge pumps. Think that would be up to the job?