Author Topic: G45 vs ko3  (Read 6728 times)

Offline RyanC

• Members
G45 vs ko3
« on: December 26, 2013, 08:03:00 pm »
Been doing some reading and asking some questions. a g40 produces around 14 psi ( lower with gt inlet and 51mm tb around 11-12psi) and g45 I've been told make about 4 psi more than a g40 and it flows a lot lot better so let's say around 19 psi (16ish with mods). looking at ko3 turbos they work well around 16 ish psi after that there inefficient and looking at most of them they run round 16ish psi? So from that I think u can get the same power with a g45 from what u can with a ko3? Obviously u can up the boost on a turbo but u would be putting a lot of strain on it. But you will have the added reliability with the turbo. What in trying to get at is :P do I get my r1charger made to a g45 get a chip for at and job done, or do I sell all my charger stuff eg toothed pulley, manifold ect and get a turbo or do something differant a go with a 45 but with the risk of blowing up a £800 charger lol. I want around 200 Bhp if I can. I Know Bhp is only figures but its nice to have something to aim for, and I think 200 is plenty for a little polo for the odd track day and road use.
There a lot if threads about these sort if things and I apologise if people get annoyed about reporting stuff that has already been covered but I cant see that anyone has covered this.
Many thanks guys
:)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: G45 vs ko3
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 09:37:22 am »
I run my k03 at 21psi, as do lots of others (or higher in some cases).  Yes it's outside it's ideal efficiency island at that point but it still works fine.  I'm not aware of anyone actually using one of these g45 chargers so not sure what they're like really.  The other thing to bear in mind is that the turbo isn't using up some of the produced power to actually run.

for 200bhp I don't think you can beat using a k03, its fairly simple and comparatively cheap.  It's been done so many times now, all the parts you need are off the shelf and there are plenty of 2nd hand ones knocking about.  You can get hold of the turbos from audi a4 1.8 20vt and passat 1.8 20vt engines from scrapyards for as little as £50 some times (I have two that cost me £50 each).  So even if you shorten their lives by over-running them a bit it doesn't really matter at that price.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:39:43 am by hayesey »

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:03:51 am »
That's the thing it been done so much now, thank mate I'll have a look into it more.

Offline Cabbage

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 12:36:30 pm »
this is something i have also been looking into, if you're turboing do you have to go down the forged engine route?

Offline metz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 01:02:40 pm »
I will get in on this too, how reliable will a standard bottom end be if you turbo it? Most of us are looking for reliability above all else. And as most bottom ends have done in excess of 100k now would it be wise to go forged first ?

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 01:32:04 pm »
Looks like your thread got gate crashed Ryan :P

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 02:04:35 pm »
I've got forged bottom end anyway just working out the best route, if u going turbo deffo get forged pistons, just been talking to the OCD guy about the g45 ;)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 04:07:37 pm »
for the price of going g45 you could go g60.

There is someone in the uk who bought a g45. Cant remember who it was though. Would be worth getting in touch to see what they say.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 04:10:19 pm »
supermario was selling it but it went locally, might be worth asking.

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 04:19:51 pm »
The thing is g45 all u need is a g45 and a chip and maybe a map sensor, g60 lots more stuff is needed then u have the trouble of getting a chip that works it still work out cheap to get a 45 I know it not as much power but the 45 will be plenty I think, I've been talking to the guy at OCD and it quite interesting and also differant unlike the ko3 I haven't seen a g45 in the uk yet running, options...

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 04:28:24 pm »
To me the G45 is a lot of outlay for not much gain. If you want a big power increase I'd either go turbo or G60 which has been discussed a lot already in the relevant sections as to the pros and cons of those. Personally I went turbo on my track car as it seemed a more reliable route when kicking the cars head in all day on track. For a road car I much prefer the lader, having said that my road G is completely stock and not even on a smaller pulley so I'm not chasing big numbers with it. Have the G45's proved reliable for those who are using them too?

As for a forged bottom end, I'm running 22psi from a KO3 on a stock bottom end and its running fine so far, if Hayesey can last years without blowing it up I'm sure its fine. Saying that if its worn and suffering poor compression anyway its pointless doing anything before sorting that out.

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 04:41:49 pm »
A lot have people hav melted pistons it dipends how luckily u at I woundnt want to risk it tbo and u can get quite a gain from a g45 it flows the air so much better ill just wait till the respray and diside see how I feel turbo would be nice and good fun with the added reliability but the g-larders are just good fun and would be nice to be differant:)
Thanks for the input guys :)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 09:13:46 pm »
thats true about the g60 charger but when i priced it up, it was cheaper but not by much. Plus the torque from the g60 charger will kill the box and cv joints, thats what stopped me going down the 60 route. Its quite aggressive in my golf and that weighs about 200kgs more than a polo.

G45 would be interesting but its a lot of money for little gain imo, different and would be interesting to see what results it makes. Anyone from germany forums actually run this charger?

I reckon if you got a charger rebuild coming up its worth going G45.

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 09:21:23 pm »
It's differant a none has done it in the uk that I've herd of so I might give it a go and yh g60 will kill the box as we know that why I not going g60 not don't want to change my box and joints every week

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 10:11:18 am »
in the long run G60 will be more expensive, but then again know one has done G45 that we know of so we cant comment on gearbox and cv problems. Might be just as bad.