Author Topic: Fuel Tank  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Lionheart

• Members
  • Back on the road
Fuel Tank
« on: December 17, 2013, 10:45:42 pm »
On a bit of a re-build of our G at the mo. putting a new sill on drivers side so uncovered the rust trap that forms around the fuel filler pipe. Blinking nightmare place, stack of dirt came out, exposing the usual holes, so dropped the tank. It is in great nick but were the filler tube mounts it had rusted and cracked so new tank time.
I see Terry has one on here, a mk2 original vw one, he thinks its the same apart from an extra return tube on the bottom which can be blocked. Looking at pics of mk2 tanks and mk2f tanks they look the same. Can anyone add to this?
Terry's is also collect only and as he's in Manchester and we are in Devon so looks like a GSF one, £91 plus, have looked through old threads and these seem ok, will need painting and might need some bending - again any views?
Looking at the filler pipe set up, I am tempted to cut it and put a short length of silicone pipe in there joined with stainless jubilee clips and try provide better protection from dirt getting in - any clever ideas for this?
Thanks
R

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Fuel Tank
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:24:31 am »
this place are usually the cheapest:

http://secure.fueltanksdirect.co.uk/

Yes the pattern tanks aren't a fantastic fit, I had to bend the filler neck slightly to get it to line up properly with the filler cap but they are much cheaper than from VW.

MK2 tank is different in that it has fuel pipe connectors on the bottom but that is easy to solve just just blocking them off.  But if it's in manchester as you're in devon it'll cost you the price of a new tank to get it!

I can't see how you could fix the rusted tank as they usually rust right on the welds where the neck joins the tank body.  I don't know where you'd attach any hoses to.  Best to just buy a new tank.  Make sure you give it a good coat in anti-rust paint too or it wont last five minutes before it goes again.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 11:30:11 am »
Mine was pissing out fuel, so last weekend did a tank swap, covered it in 3 coats of por15. 

Offline Lionheart

• Members
  • Back on the road
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 11:52:32 pm »
Thanks for replies, in case it helps, GSF offered us one for £81 and tanks direct £78. We have managed to organise Terry's tank. Two fellow mountain bikers have organised a relay to get it down to Devon on Xmas day, just 5 miles away from us so a couple bottles will be due! It's a mk2 orginal so will need to sort out the return tube and plan to underseal and waxoil it. I am also going to try find a way to better protect the rh dirt/rust trap area around and in front of the filler tube.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 12:20:43 am »
Ah trusty mountain bikers. Yeah I was looking at cutting up some tough plastic sheeting to cover that section. Pulled out a few kgs of mud when I did mine

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 09:22:08 am »
probably best to leave it uncovered, make sure the neck has been treated with plenty of POR15 and underseal on top of that.  Then just scrape out the crap every so often, get a pressure washer in there. 

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 05:18:50 pm »
probably best to leave it uncovered, make sure the neck has been treated with plenty of POR15 and underseal on top of that.  Then just scrape out the crap every so often, get a pressure washer in there.  

Why is that?

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 12:10:17 am »
I'm guessing he's saying mud get stuck on top of the tank so best to pressure wash it off every now and then :-)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:55:03 am by Ben.lopo »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 09:32:08 am »
yes, if you cover it you're just creating a dirt trap.  you'll never get it air tight.  Best to leave it open and just pressure wash it out every so often.

Offline dru

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 08:10:21 pm »
Mine was pissing out fuel, so last weekend did a tank swap, covered it in 3 coats of por15. 

Which por15 paint did you use and how much? Just about to do mine, and don't want to get the wrong paint, and or to much or to little!

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 03:06:28 pm »
Pretty sure its just the POR15 Black Rust Preventive Paint, just keep slapping it on until the seam is covered as well as the area around the filler neck, but make sure its all cleaned right back to the metal