Author Topic: Oil switch thread/hole expanded  (Read 3998 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Oil switch thread/hole expanded
« on: November 20, 2013, 08:26:55 pm »
I took my t-piece out at the weekend and thought about putting the oil sensor back in (was gonna lend the gauge for thew week) but when i put the oil sensor to the thread it just went straight in and turns, no biting at all. I thought that this is a bit odd but could this be due to the t-piece stretching the hole?

Has anyone come across this before?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Oil switch thread/hole expanded
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:21:37 am »
Some metric and imperial threads are similar. Could be that the t is imperial and cut a slightly bigger thread?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 08:22:26 am »
Ah right i see.

Luckily i wont be removing the t-piece in the future, if i was to remove it helicoil is my only option i guess.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 04:43:25 pm »
Ok, took this out today and then this happened:

Its really odd, the adapter looks like it has a helicoil on it or as if it has cut a new thread in the head and then removed the old one. Its odd and have never come across this before. The only reason i think its done something crazy like this is because the oil switch literally falls into the thread whereas before i put this adapter in, it was snug as a bug. The adapter, although snapped in half still fits into the thread just like before.

Any suggestions on what i could do?

Offline OCDmatt

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 08:33:10 am »
It'll be tapping out and using a Heli-coil.

The adapter is a bigger thread than an oil switch? Or have I missed what you mean?

Does already look heli-coiled which would be very odd, shouldn't bugger up easily though if done right

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 09:08:55 am »
Id say been helicoiled before and just pulling that out. Fit another one.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 01:30:30 pm »
Right it makes sense now, i think.

Took all of it out and pete and matt you were right it has been helicoiled before.

Matt the adapter is the same thread size but its pulled out the helicoil, or in this case snapped it out. i measured all the threads and they are all the same 1.00.

This is whats left of it, the heads all clear

the rest of the helicoil

The helicoil is on real tight on the adapter so for now i have just put it back in till i get a helicoil kit.

Does anyone know much on sizing of the helicoil themselves?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:22:18 pm »
Measure the pitch, if its M10x1 you might be lucky as that's a common spark plug size. Probably cost you £30-£40 for a single kit including clearance drill and tap.

If the original helicoil thread is fine then you're good, if you need an oversize helicoil things get expensive.

I would also use a small amount of high strength loctite on the coil itself (not on the adapter) a 270 would do. Then use a sealing loctite 570 on the adapter and never take it out again...

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 05:57:34 pm »
Ok, for some reason luck is on my side this time as the original helicoil is fine. I think it would need an oversize helicoil as well as a M10x1 will not fit at all.

Put it back in today, nipped it up but will use some loctite tomorrow as i dont plan on taking it out ever again.

Thanks for the loctite numbers as well!  :)

Offline OCDmatt

• Traders
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 09:19:53 pm »
Sorry, isn't the oil pressure sensor thread smaller than M10?

If it's been helicoiled and this has pulled out there is a better repair than helicoil, can't remember the name, but Wurth make them and they're mega! No need to loctite then either so it can be removed again

Offline Lionheart

• Members
  • Back on the road
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 12:22:21 am »
Called time-sert, sometimes Keenserts. Told they are much better than helicoils.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 01:22:51 pm »
Im sure it is M10, if fits in the head where the charger feed come from, just not the helicoil one.

Cheers, will have a look at that kit then.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 01:27:26 pm »
Also, the blue sensor says 0.15 - 0.35 bar i think. Does this mean that if the pressure falls below 0.15 bar it will illuminate the light on the dash?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 02:13:11 pm »
If you're going to use something different than the original helicoil (keensert etc) check the oversize tap is the same as that of the existing helicoil. Otherwise you'll be in a right mess.