Author Topic: Not running a intercooler ?  (Read 3034 times)

Offline John-125

• Members
Not running a intercooler ?
« on: December 27, 2013, 08:34:28 pm »
What difference would it make not running an intercooler on a g40 ? Wanting to keep the bay clear but still want the power ?

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Re: Not running a intercooler ?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 08:58:28 pm »
Detonation.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 12:32:45 am »
Err I don't think a g40 is the right car for what your ttrying to achieve, getting rid of an intercooler? May as well just take the supercharger off? Lol

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 08:59:44 am »
I don't see why you or anyone would want to do this?

Offline OCDmatt

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 04:45:16 pm »
Seen some Europeans do it with G60's on show bays, but that's what it's for, show.

They probably don't run, and if they do it'll be, off the trailer and to its parking space.

I wouldn't want to drive it far and certainly not hard with no intercooler, probably also fit an even bigger pulley for less boost :D

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 06:13:02 pm »
What the hell is the point?! I'm open to most scene things, and respect other people's work, but thats just stupid

If you want a show car, g40/g60 is not it

Offline OCDmatt

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 12:37:45 am »
I don't know, I'm up for anything being a show car, but for me it still has to be useable, it just makes it being a show car even more awesome.

Same as building a 600bhp mk1 golf, that's all well and good but if it's just a jumble of very expensive parts that look a mess I'm not bothered by it.

If you're going to build it, at least make it neat :)

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 09:04:40 am »
Kieron's car (kiz) is a g40 show car and it look awsome! He still has a intercooler if run a front mount and route the pipe work nicely u can make it look quite hidden anyway but removing it isn't and option lol

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 11:20:59 am »
Each to his own I suppose.

There are some show cars that look neat and shiny under the bonnet that make me cringe when form has so blatantly overtaken function. Achieving both is the holy grail, but I'd take a 600bhp Mk1 Golf that looked in a tangle under the bonnet, but was robust and reliable, over something that looked pretty but couldn't be ragged and needed parts rebuilding/refitting every 500 miles.

Not quite sure I get this extremely bay de-cluttering that means removal of functional parts. Extending and carefully re-routing wiring and pipework to tidy it up and/or hide it is something I understand, but removing bits that make a car a functional car seems odd.

Offline OCDmatt

• Traders
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 12:08:57 pm »
Yeah completely agree Andy, more praise for some making it look good and functional.

A lot more thought ended to do that other than just taking it off

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 05:30:33 pm »
Hi John,

Basically speaking, your intercooler lowers your charge temperature. It's particularly critical in forced induction engines (turbo/supercharged) as inlet air going through these devices raises the temperature (and therefore lowers the density) of the air going into your engine. This is also why your car might seem to pull harder on a frosty February morning, than a spanking hot mid-August afternoon.

Taking out your intercooler will raise the charge temperature and you'll loose some power. How much is hard to say (what ya got to start with?!) Possibly 10%-15% but that's a guess, there are so many factors to consider (and someone on here or another forum has probably done some research into this and has some data) but detonation may also be possible (although your knock sensor should back things off if it gets too dicey.)

Best to leave it on. This is why most people increase the size & maximise air flow across the intercooler face - for cooler, denser air.

And for the record, I agree with Andy too.

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 07:08:54 pm »
Sure it has been said, but I honestly can't see the point in having a 'clear' engine bay, the whole point of it is to hold all the poop, I feel keeping it pretty much standard looking in the bay but just with new and clean bits (using loom tape) is all that is needed.

~ just my opinion.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 09:07:32 pm »
Im struggling to find room to put stuff in my bay! Catch tank was a pain fitting and now a standalone oil kit. Wish i had more room.

If your not running the boost return mod and removed the intercooler, your temps would gradually get higher and higher as well. Some supercharged cars dont run intercoolers due to the chargers not putting out high enough temps.

You could always run a charge cooler and somehow make it look good, maybe disguising it as the massive windscreen washer tank.