Author Topic: price of a highly modified G?  (Read 3490 times)

Offline z3i

• Members
price of a highly modified G?
« on: October 05, 2013, 10:34:52 pm »
Just curious as people keep asking me how much my car is worth, and to be honest I don't really Know
I see original g40's going for silly money
so would a modified one like mine or jezzas (retaining the Glader) be worth as much? Or more? Considering I have spent ££££ on it

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Re: price of a highly modified G?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 11:09:59 pm »
Worth very little as a car compared to how much it's worth in parts.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 12:06:30 am »
Same with our turbo ones too

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 09:24:50 am »
If i sold mine, i would want 4k. But it would never sell, however in parts it would probably make over 4k.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 09:33:04 am »
I bought mine for £2.5k, spent over £4k on it, and couldn't reasonably expect more than £4k for it although most of the money has gone on re-build. Funny thing is though, that as soon as someone buys an original, the first questions are about how to get more power.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 10:14:32 am »
Yeah I've noticed that lol. Also £2500 and spent around £4000 on it haha
Once it's painted and remapped I wouldnt ever except less than £5k for it. steep I know but the work that been done
Not that it will ever be for sale :P

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:17:52 pm »
The trouble is Taylor, you could spend £10k on a G40 and it'd still probably be worth less than half that.
There just isn't a market for highly priced G40's.
However, I'd expect a completely original, genuinely mint condition G40 with very low mileage to be worth the most money. Whether one still exists is another question.

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 10:01:39 pm »
I bought mine for £2.5k, spent over £4k on it, and couldn't reasonably expect more than £4k for it although most of the money has gone on re-build. Funny thing is though, that as soon as someone buys an original, the first questions are about how to get more power.

Yours is a good example.  It's nice but has things I'm not interested in...wheels/brakes/seats/bumpers.  So the mods have little value to me...so much so I'd sell them as soon as I bought the car.

For someone else it might be perfect and they wouldn't change a thing and they would be happy paying the full whack for it.

Personally an original would be what I'd look for as I've found with Polos it's hard to get one that has been modified to a high standard and isn't hiding problems.  Easier to start with something basic and do it yourself.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 05:29:37 pm »
I'd say the modifying standards thing is true of a lot of cars, to be honest. Without decent documentation I'd be wary whatever I was buying. But I think, like a lot of people on here, I've given up caring about the resale value because I don't plan to get shot of it. The flip side of that is I wouldn't modify another one if something catastrophic happened to mine.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 08:17:57 pm »
That's it in a  nutshell; losing a couple of grand on any car is the norm. Trick is to get a couple of grand's worth of fun from the car. You can spend a lot of time skinning your knuckles and by trying to achieve too much, you end up pissed off as well as skint. The G in pretty standard form is a hoot to drive, but beyond the pulley and chip mod., it's a law of diminishing returns.