Author Topic: MK3 GT Hatchback/Breadvan  (Read 3254 times)

Offline MartinB

• Members
MK3 GT Hatchback/Breadvan
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:28:53 am »
Reluctantly I am selling my GT Breadvan, reason for selling is that I now have a Corrado for a bit of fun as I don't need to rely on a car everyday to travel to work.

It's a 1990 'H' registration original GT Hatchback. 167k (I think, will check as car is at my parents currently.

The only modifications I know of are as follows:

5.5j GT Coupe steels and wheel trims (GT breadvans were 4.5j as standard) with 165/65/13 tyres

UK font pressed plates and surrounds

Tinted front headlamps

G40/MK2 Golf GTi calipers and vented discs

Poloace 8k chip

K&N Panel Filter

Red rocker cover

New wings without indicators

I've owned this car since January 2011 - it was lowered on poor suspension so that was replaced with brand new standard height shocks and springs in Feb 2012, in 2012 the car also had new wheel bearings all round, new front top mounts and new brake pads/fluid upfront. (receipts included). It got 95bph at the 2011 Club Polo rolling road day with a 4 branch, stainless exhaust, chip & golf GTi AFM so the engine is pretty strong. With a standard AFM and G40 exhaust it's still as pokey as it was back then.

Bodywork wise it's solid, it's had new VW wings fitted in the past (receipts included) - there's surface rust by each rear arch - needs treating/protecting ideally.

Original GT interior is very clean, black carpets, headlining and dark GT seats - pretty dark and unfaded still for 23 years old!

It benefits from a few factory fitted extras - original VW roof rails, metallic paint (Indian Red Metallic), Tinted glass, steel sunroof (Doesn't leak)

I have used the car everyday up until July when I started a new job in Oxford and now I cycle to work. It's never 'broken down' although the Altenator belt snapped last year and I got recovered home just to be on the safe side!

Cambelt and water pump was done by a previous owner at 130k.

Bad bits -

About a month ago the petrol tank filler neck decided to start leaking - this will need repairing or replacing - common fault on MK3 Polo's. I've been topping up by 10/15 litres at a time and it leaks a lot less like this (not ideal I know)

3 weeks ago a whirring noise has started coming from the front near side wheel, mechanic checked over and confirms it's not wheel bearing related - could be CV joint or driveshaft related. Please note - gearchanging hasn't been affected and the gearbox is still very smooth - the noise is quite loud only at low revs though..

Tracking needs setting up and therefore the front tyres are pretty low on tread.

Rear exhaust hangers have snapped off, for the MOT I fitted an industrial sized jubilee clip and had another hanger fitted - the MOT tester was happy with this.

It currently has a 4 branch fitted, I will be removing this week. The Polo will come fitted with a full standard G40 exhaust system and decat.

Please note, this is a 23 year old car and it does have it's quirks, it's the best MK3 I've had and I've had 5 of them!

The car is located in Oxford, OX1. Like I said, I need to swap exhaust manifolds over and give the car a good clean inside and out so please bear with me on pictures. For reference, a link to my gallery thread is here: http://www.clubpolo....c=228011&page=1 the headlamp washers/protectors & foglamps are NOT included in the sale.

MOT until Feb/March next year

Tax until end of October this year

£600 ONO.

Haven’t had a chance to remove the 4 branch or take new pics yet. Would consider selling with the 4 Branch & G-Ladersite ARB blocks for a bit extra.

Please PM for further details